Mexican Arid Bed Ideas

paulrm71

Mexican Arid Bed Ideas

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi all :D

Fairly new to the tropical plant scene, and I'm after ideas for a Mexican themed arid bed. I made a dry wall about two foot high, weed control barrier and covered in 300kgs of cotswold lime chippings. At the moment its got my washie robusta, a small Trachycarpus (which will be moved next year as it is struggling), and some saxifrages and heathers.

I plant to keep the washie where it is and move the rest. Also got some nice large pieces of limestone for decorative purposes.

I will definitely get a nice sized Brahea Armata next year, but as far as cacti and succulents go, am open to suggestions.

Must haves:

Agave mediopicta alba
Agave Parryi

Can anyone offer any suggestions for cacti and anything else please?
paulrm71

Re: Mexican Arid Bed Ideas

Post by paulrm71 »

Forgot to add I do have one fairly small cactus (about 15cms high), a Cereus Forbesii, I think, although orginating from Argentina!!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Aloe Striatula and some Opuntia.

JoelR

Post by JoelR »

That's an impressive arid bed Mike. Is it your own?

Opuntias are a must for me because some of them really are reliably hardly. I wouldn't plant out a variagated agave permanantly as they are not hardy. Don't know much about Cereus forbsii but I suspect the same applies. Some echinocereous are very hardy as is Gymnocalicium bruchii. Can't go far wrong with opuntias and yuccas for the back bone plants in a mexican bed though. Echeveria secunda & elegans survive with fleece protection and E. rosea is said to be hardy. Agave parryi is a good choice as are utahensis, montana, harvardiana, neomexicana.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks Joel and Mike, just wanted the variegated agave because it looks fantastic. If they dont mind being lifted, I can always bring it in for winter. If its not hardy due to wetness rather than cold, thats not a problem coz I will extend the rain shelter that is required for my washie and the brahea.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

That's not my arid bed, just love those Aloes, hardy too. I've got some in a pot. Not Mexican, but hey, who would know?

:wink:
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks Arlon for your message, the link was great I could spend hours looking on other sites!!!

I cant respond to personal message at the moment, until its unlocked.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

paulrm71 wrote:Thanks Arlon for your message, the link was great I could spend hours looking on other sites!!!

Glad it helped icon_thumleft