Nolina

MikeC

Nolina

Post by MikeC »

Anyone tell me about this species, which varieties are best and how hardy they are etc?

Like the look of them, but have no knowledge of them.

Cheers.

icon_study
Nigel Fear

Re: Nolina

Post by Nigel Fear »

MikeC wrote:Anyone tell me about this species, which varieties are best and how hardy they are etc?

Like the look of them, but have no knowledge of them.

Cheers.

icon_study
Mike, They're great plants arent they?
A guy called Paul Spracklin grows them, ask on growing on the edge, or ukeg[uk exotic gardens] forums and he'll see your post.
He doesn't come on this forum, but frequents the others.
:wink:
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

I grow Nolina, well ive had it about a year now. Im not sure what variety it is, its this one http://www.cactusshop.co.uk/acatalog/On ... NA_95.html

Mine is planted in a pot with 50% compost and 50% small gravel and seems to be very happy, doubling its leaves over the summer. Its currently in My kitchen window and seems happy enough.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

musabasjoos wrote:I grow Nolina, well ive had it about a year now. Im not sure what variety it is, its this one http://www.cactusshop.co.uk/acatalog/On ... NA_95.html

Mine is planted in a pot with 50% compost and 50% small gravel and seems to be very happy, doubling its leaves over the summer. Its currently in My kitchen window and seems happy enough.
Ah, it's not that one I've been looking at.

It's a Nolina nelsonii I've discovered. Supposed to be hardy to -12 Deg c.

Have to have some of these.

:D
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

looks good. Have you got a supplier?
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Mike ... You can get Nolina Nelsoni, Parvifolia and Durangensis from Pan Global Plants. I recently aquired Nolina Matapensis from Der palmenmann in Germany. Not big plants though.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I got a small one of these three years ago. It looks good in an ornamental glazed pot for the time being and it stays outside most of the time decorating what would otherwise be a bare patio - only going inside the unheated section of the greenhouse for a few nights last week.

I plan to plant this out when it gets to about a metre high, which may not be too long, now :D I think it lends itself to being described as 'handsome' :) , regal icon_king or cool 8)
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Greville any idea which species you have? I'll post a few pics of mine all still in pots. My favourite is Durangensis which is a fast grower
6-12-11 001_t.jpg

Nolina Nelsonii
6-12-11 003_t.jpg
Love the zig zag leaf shape when young. :D
Nolina Parvifolia
6-12-11 002_t.jpg
Nolina Matapensis
6-12-11 004_t.jpg
The leaves super straight, super spiky icon_cheers
I'm debating on whether to get Nolina Longifolia which is possibly more tender than the others. Amulree had a beautiful trunked specimen which is now sold but still on their website.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I had a longifolia. It was a very pretty thing.

It was fine in a pot up to -8C. Winter 2009/10 killed it. I have also read of them dying in the ground at around -11C.

If you keep them in pots I found that mine was happy but it did produce a big rootball and would need regular repotting I reckon.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Andy, my Nolina is nelsonii. It said so on the label and I believe it :D It also looks exactly like yours, if a little larger and thicker (not in leaf, just the number of leaves).

This was actually an impulse buy at a traders nursery in Kent which keep the mainstream exotics in large numbers but always have a handful of rarities. I had only grown N. recurvata up to this point and wasn't really familiar with any other types. It was such a healthy little thing in a five inch pot, the only one there and much like snapping up a cute and lonely pup at Battersea dogs home, I couldn't resist it.

Broke one of my golden rules for this one - bought it first, researched it later :ahhh!: Glad I did icon_thumleft At just over £4, I thought it a bargain.