Have you wintered Aloe Variegata outdoors?

fieldfest

Have you wintered Aloe Variegata outdoors?

Post by fieldfest »

thinking of getting one, is it hardy enough to leave outdoors with a cloche/glass over it all winter?
GREVILLE

Re: Have you wintered Aloe Variegata outdoors?

Post by GREVILLE »

Dave, do you mean the Partridge-breasted or Tiger Aloe?

I have overwintered a couple unprotected before now on a gritty raised bed underneath my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. The first one survived two successive winters with virtually no frost but perished in the third winter after an overnight low of -1c came immediately after a very wet spell. More recently one came through the winter of 2008 with the whole bed covered with a blanket during frosty weather, but this trick didn't work for December 2009. It hadn't made much growth the previous summer as it had difficulty negotiating the mat of palm roots.

I put in a variegated Aloe gariepensis last summer in a dry spot right up against the trunk of the palm, sharing a space with Echeveria perle von nurnberg, and looking good together this morning after succesive lows of -3c and -2c. I hasten to add I put a blanket over them on Monday in anticipation of the frosts :D

I only ever plant out succulent bedding from divided pot plants that are overwintered inside. My insurance policy if I lose any.

I would suggest you only overwinter your Aloe outside after it's pupped and you have back-up. I don't expect most variegated Aloes to survive cloche covered much below -3c or -4c and certainly not through any daytime freezes. If you have one with multiple pups you can try straight away, otherwise there's no harm done planting one out in the spot assigned for it and lift before winter.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Aloe striatula or Aloe aristata would do better outdoors. Aloe mutabilis also supposed to be hardyish. No aloes survived last winter for me outdoors but maybe if my striatula had been more established it would have regrown from the roots.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

GREVILLE wrote:Dave, do you mean the Partridge-breasted or Tiger Aloe?
Yes, i might give it a try then as mine will be in a gritty sloped raised bed under a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and i intend to cover it for cold weather

Joel I have Aristata but its not the prettiest available, striatula looks good though-i'll investigate that one-thanks!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The tiny spines on A.aristata make them look a bit variegated but their free and long-lasting flowering certainly makes them very pretty when they open.

Aloe striatula like aristata are very hardy down south and need no protection down to -12c as long as they're treading on grit. I've had these growing and flowering successfully for about twelve years.

I acquired a variegated Aloe arborescens some years ago and some rooted cuttings off the potted plant have been used as bedding with the other succulents spring to Autumn and they look very good as they don't branch too freely unlike their all-green counterpart.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I been experimenting ( trying to kill) a bog standard aloe vera , no protection etc ....and it still lives :(

taken 5 mins ago...
DSC01807 (Copy).JPG
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Impressive that it's still alive Arlon. Looks like it's on it's way out though....I once read a Sarah Raven article in which she stated Aloe barbadensis (vera) is worth trying outdoors.

There are large forms of Aloe aristata that are worth looking out for Fieldfest. One is called "Cathedral" I think. I agree with Greville the flowers are worth the trouble. Mine flowered last year and I managed to get viable seed from it.

Forgot to mention Aloe polyphylla for near hardiness. Needs planting on a slope and might survive long term in some parts of the UK.
call

Post by call »

i dont know why you would want to kill a vera mine is doing really well in the pollytunnel and has produced loads of offsets
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

call wrote:i dont know why you would want to kill a vera mine is doing really well in the pollytunnel and has produced loads of offsets
More of a tester / benchmark Call, to see how low they'll go. I got others icon_thumleft

i'm not a murderer really :lol:
call

Post by call »

well good :D
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

ive bought one now £1.99 so might take a while to grow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... SA:GB:1123
call

Post by call »

all my aloes are doing realy well
as i said vera has produced offsets
astariata has a really big rosete and producing offsets
variagata the same
mitriformis getting bigger by the day
and my aloe/ hathwothia hybrid black gem is also doing well :D :D :D
must get more this year icon_rambo :D
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Aloe Variegata is supposed to be hardy down to -3C or -6C is it is older, more established and has experienced cool winters before. Like with many exotics i think experience is needed for them to be come hardier. Im thinking of overwintering mine next year. My plan is to acclimatise it for one winter in the conservatory so it gets used to cool winter temperatures (this is the experience part) then the next year have it outside with protection. Just one more point obviously you all know they're succulents; so for them to stand a better chance of them surviving, they will need sandy (well drained) soil and need little or even no water as the freezing and thawing could split them apart if they have too much water within them. :D