Bare Rooted Yucca Rostrata....Yes or No?

paulrm71

Bare Rooted Yucca Rostrata....Yes or No?

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi, I've looked at the website recommended by Ste and others (tropicalcentre), and noticed that their bare root rostrata's are cheaper than the rooted versions.....and also heard that rostratas and yuccas in general dont like alot of root disturbance. So, if you were looking to buy one, would you go for the cheaper version and perhaps get a bigger specimen, or go for the safer option of a rooted one?

How easy is it to get the bare root version to grow new roots?

Your thoughts please.....
GoggleboxUK

Re: Bare Rooted Yucca Rostrata....Yes or No?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

No, get a rooted one from Nigel

www.hardy-palms.co.uk

;)
Ste

Post by Ste »

I would go for a fully rooted one if you can afford it but a bare rooted one will be ok. I bought a bare rooted yucca last summer and within a few months it had sent up a massive flower stalk and looked great. Only thing with a bare rooted one is that you will have to support it from falling over. I stuffed 3 stakes of wood in the compost and and put a cable tie round them to hold the yucca upright until it has fully rooted. Here's some pics of when mine arrived and how it looked after about 3 months of being planted.
Attachments
yuc1.JPG
yuc1.JPG (38.07 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
yuc2.JPG
yuc2.JPG (61.43 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
yuc3.JPG
yuc3.JPG (33.68 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
yuc4.JPG
yuc4.JPG (56.33 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
yuc5.JPG
yuc5.JPG (70.49 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Pay for a rooted one unless the unrooted one is a proper bargain. If it flowers soon after you've got it, the plant will look rubbish for the next two years.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Rostrata are a bit of a pain to re-root IME.

I would buy a rooted one.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

why are rooted ones so much more expensive?
easy,to cover the cost of the dead ones that didnt.
its a gamble with a percentage of faillure involved.if your bare-root doesnt take,you have to buy another which then makes it more expensive than buying rooted in the first place. bare rooted are far more prone to rot and ideally need to be kept dry overwinter.
ive lost enough big ones through not rooting to know that it isnt cheap in the long run
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Simba

Post by Simba »

To me, buying a plant without roots is like bying a car without an engine... :lol:

I'd go for a pot full of roots everytime, as Squirrel said, you buy non-rooted and it dies, it wasn't a bargain but an expensive lesson.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Some Yucca do re-root easier than others though, so it is worth bearing that in mind when buying bare-rooted ones.

Rostrata isn't one of the easy ones though.

Also, when big trunked Yucca first came into this country 6 or 7 years ago it was difficult to find rooted specimens.

Things are different now though.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Simba wrote:To me, buying a plant without roots is like bying a car without an engine... :lol:

I'd go for a pot full of roots everytime, as Squirrel said, you buy non-rooted and it dies, it wasn't a bargain but an expensive lesson.

Apart from Dicksonia antarctica I guess. :)
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I risked buying a bare root one and so far so good.
It was £54 and had a 90cm stem, so much cheaper than a rooted one.
Its in my greenhouse (unheated) right now, and looks healthy enough.

But saying that, if you can afford it buy a rooted one.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks everyone for your comments, I'm not going to buy one anyway, as I've already spent my yearly allocation for the garden, just wanted to get some comments from people on whether bare rooted versions were viable or not. I'll put a linearis or thomsonia on my wish list for next year, or I may 'accidentally' purchase one later in the year!. By the way Nigels website looks great, and I'd prefer to buy off a British supplier anyhow.