new varigated agave and positioning

shanks

new varigated agave and positioning

Post by shanks »

varigated agave arrived today, i was going to put it in the raised wall bed in picture next to palm, removing everything except the palm, the bed has been filled with quality top soil which is very open, had aquarium gravel added and will add more perlite and grit, what do you think? any help would be appreciated as first agave, thanks in advance
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: new varigated agave and positioning

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I would plunge it into 100% grit for the season then pull out before winter arrives and put somewhere dry and as frost free as possible.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

As Kris says,

Mines in a raised bed filled 100% with granite chippings, no compost / soil at all
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks a big agave. I have planted out a.montana and a. salmiana, straight into 100% gravel. The only other thing I have done is to raise the agave up onto a mound of gravel so water cannot collect around the base.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Very nice plant! Best kept in a pot except maybe in far south of UK. You could submerge the pot.
shanks

Post by shanks »

JoelR wrote:Very nice plant! Best kept in a pot except maybe in far south of UK. You could submerge the pot.
thanks everyone, for this year whilst it still upright i think i will just sink the pot into the other raised wall so i can take out and put it under cover in winter, as i'm thinking of getting a large plastic greenhouse and clad with bubblewrap for the more tender plants, i'll have to place on decking as nowhere else to put it though, thanks again for replies
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Why should the Agave been in 100% gravel? Won't it need the nutrients from compost to grow?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Why should the Agave been in 100% gravel? Won't it need the nutrients from compost to grow?

100% gravel so it's easier to pull out the pot before winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Get another 2 identical pots if you can, sink an empty pot into the bed, then put your agave pot into it for summer, When you take it out replace with the 3rd pot of something else, or even just gravel for winter. It saves disturbing the roots of the palms, and makes planting/removing very much easier :) Agave americana variegata is not as hardy as the species, and ideally will need to be kept frost free to avoid damage. An unheated greenhouse will only be about 2C warmer than outside at night.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright