Yucca faxoniana

shanks

Yucca faxoniana

Post by shanks »

hi everyone
anybody growing Yucca faxoniana, i have read these are hardier than rostrata and thompsoniana, i will proberly put it in a pot so whats best medium mix for it, thanks again
JoelR

Re: Yucca faxoniana

Post by JoelR »

I have a couple of 3 year old seedlings. My seedlings have attractive lighter coloured leaf margins which I'm hoping they'll keep as they grow. Others will have experience of their hardiness but I think they are slightly less (cold/wet) hardy if anything. I Might plant one out this year to test that.

In a pot I would use one part potting or alpine grit around 4mm size and 2 parts John Innes No. 2.
Ste

Post by Ste »

I have one just over 2ft (1ft trunk and about 14 inch leaves) They are tough little plants. I've read before that they are more hardy than rostrata's etc......... I think its the most perfect plant for wind. Not even a hurricane would snap those leaves - they are think and totally stiff. I think they look great and i'm that happy with mine, i've got my eye on one at just over 6ft that I might purchase this summer.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Ste wrote:I have one just over 2ft (1ft trunk and about 14 inch leaves) They are tough little plants. I've read before that they are more hardy than rostrata's etc......... I think its the most perfect plant for wind. Not even a hurricane would snap those leaves - they are think and totally stiff. I think they look great and i'm that happy with mine, i've got my eye on one at just over 6ft that I might purchase this summer.
thanks ste, i'm leaning more to these i think as my garden can get windy even though it's surrounded by houses and small, i would like a twin headed thompsonia​na but the prices, wow
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

shanks wrote:
Ste wrote:I have one just over 2ft (1ft trunk and about 14 inch leaves) They are tough little plants. I've read before that they are more hardy than rostrata's etc......... I think its the most perfect plant for wind. Not even a hurricane would snap those leaves - they are think and totally stiff. I think they look great and i'm that happy with mine, i've got my eye on one at just over 6ft that I might purchase this summer.
thanks ste, i'm leaning more to these i think as my garden can get windy even though it's surrounded by houses and small, i would like a twin headed thompsonia​na but the prices, wow
bide your time Shanks,Nigel surely must get a stock of yuccas in soon,he was always far and away the cheapest when it came to yuccas.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have a faxoniana with about 18inches of very thick trunk & overhaul size about 3ft 6inches. We had -9/10 in our rear garden this year & all it had was a lightweight blanket over it, it has not got a single mark on its massive crown and is pushing out new growth already. Its been planted in the ground about 9 months & when we have really heavy rain for days on end i just put an umbrella over it as a precaution. I also have 6ft thompsonia & rostrata without a mark on them. I think as long as you give them some protection in very wet periods, they laugh at any - temps we can throw at them in the uk. karl.