Lithops Availability and Suppliers

phil75

Lithops Availability and Suppliers

Post by phil75 »

Hi there, does anyone keep Lithops? I quite like them and would like to get a collection going, as they look great and dont take up hardly any room :D

I got the 2nd edition of Steven Hammer's book which is a good resource and didnt realise there's so many....

Does anyone have named varieties for sale, or do you know decent suppliers here in the UK or abroad tha ships top the UK?

Are there usually any going for sale at the National Show?
cheers
Phil
musabasjoos

Re: Lithops Availability and Suppliers

Post by musabasjoos »

This website does them and their service is good.

http://www.cactusshop.co.uk/acatalog/On ... PS_78.html
phil75

Post by phil75 »

ey cheers darren, bought stuff from ralph last year and the year before, might give a few lithops a go from him too, always been happy with the size/quality of ralph's plants :)
call

Post by call »

if you pop down to your local gc (especially if it is part of the gc group) there should be a cactus section where you may find one or two to help to get your collection started.
this year i am going yo get a small dish and grow a few species :D :D :D
phil75

Post by phil75 »

hi call - yeah i did this and got 3 or 4, but all are un-named, i'm fussy and like to know what i have and am growing, so when i get more experienced with them i hope to be able to identify them :)
call

Post by call »

well i done this and the one was named you can always find out what one it is on http://www.succulentguide.com/
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Not strictly lithops but this chap is worth asking and he's in Yorkshire too Phil:

http://conophytum.com/plants2011.html
phil75

Post by phil75 »

JoelR wrote:Not strictly lithops but this chap is worth asking and he's in Yorkshire too Phil:

http://conophytum.com/plants2011.html
Hi Joel - cheers for the link, crish sent me a few cono's last season so will get in touch again to see what he has for sale :)

PS - went to the bradford branch bcss annual show this morning, had the kids with me so only stayed about 45 mins, but managed to get a few plants bought ;)
call

Post by call »

i just got two more today and planted them with my current one
phil75

Post by phil75 »

i went to a fellow bcss members house the other night for a greenhouse visit, and came away with these two :D

call

Post by call »

i have the one on the left nice innit
Springy

Post by Springy »

When I went to my local Hilliers garden centre yesterday they had a 3" pot full of lithops for I think it was £5.49 There must have been about 8 or so plants in each pot! I thought it was a bargain! I don't think they were named varieties though! I might be going back there tomorrow so I'll have a look again.

I love lithops as they remind me of my late auntie, Kay. She used to call them "living bums" instead of living stones!! I used to have a large terracotta bowl planted with them and then placed similar sized, multi-coloured pebbles and stones around them.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

am i the only one that thinks they look like little bums ? :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:am i the only one that thinks they look like little bums ? :lol:
No see Springys commentd.
Mr List