Agave Parryi Truncata.

jungle jas

Agave Parryi Truncata.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all, Any one growing one of these out side? I am told it is hardy to-10c if kept dry, true or false? Thanks. icon_thumright
Conifers

Re: Agave Parryi Truncata.

Post by Conifers »

True, but with heavy emphasis on the dry, which won't be easy in Wales :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Joel, may know. icon_study
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

It's less hardy than the std parryi, but my small std one took -12 C totally unprotected in a clay pot !
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Lads. icon_thumright
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I will add that mine (parryi) was covered in snow for weeks winter 2010/11 and was totallY unmarked whereas A. montana next to it was turned to mush (it was damaged the winter before at -8 C ) Bear in mind this is a plant about 5-6'' across in a clay pot so a bit of a hero in my book !!
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

The literature generally lists A. Parryi Truncata as the least hardy of the Parryi forms although I've seen conflicting reports. A. Parryi Huachacensis (Hoo-Aka-chen-sis) is usually cited as being slightly less tender and var. Cousei hardier still. A. parryi var. Parryi or var. Cousei should be the best parryi for outdoor planting but there is variance within the species depending on provenence. My seedlings from Mesa Garden seed come from high elevations with severe winter conditions but they grow so slowly. Even after 5 years they are small plants.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

JoelR wrote:The literature generally lists A. Parryi Truncata as the least hardy of the Parryi forms although I've seen conflicting reports. A. Parryi Huachacensis (Hoo-Aka-chen-sis) is usually cited as being slightly less tender and var. Cousei hardier still. A. parryi var. Parryi or var. Cousei should be the best parryi for outdoor planting but there is variance within the species depending on provenence. My seedlings from Mesa Garden seed come from high elevations with severe winter conditions but they grow so slowly. Even after 5 years they are small plants.
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

GaryW wrote:I will add that mine (parryi) was covered in snow for weeks winter 2010/11 and was totallY unmarked whereas A. montana next to it was turned to mush (it was damaged the winter before at -8 C ) Bear in mind this is a plant about 5-6'' across in a clay pot so a bit of a hero in my book !!
it seems to be the case here that if agaves get damaged one year,even if they recover well,they are nowhere near as tough the following year.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure