Dasylirion longissimum.

karl66

Dasylirion longissimum.

Post by karl66 »

Are many on here growing them & how do they stand up to our winters generally. karl.
Andy Martin

Re: Dasylirion longissimum.

Post by Andy Martin »

Hi Karl.... they are beautiful plants aren't they. I,d say you should be safe to -10C but I would put a roof over them for winter. If you have a trunked specimen they are expensive to lose to wet rot and freezing. I only have a trunked Miquihuanensis but i am looking for a nice specimen myself. I believe Simba had one but lost his... not sure what to though.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I have 2, one has about 18 inches of trunk which is nearly the same wide. The other is just forming a trunk and is about 4 feet across and 3 feet high. The smaller one has longer bluer leaves, the bigger has dark green leaves. Leaf section and tips are identical, but the smaller one grows quicker too. longissimum ?? quadrangulatum ?? Who knows ?!?!Both are in large tubs, and shrugged off -6 this winter unprotected. The smaller one was out all the winter before (down to -12) covered in several layers of fleece and was undamaged. The fleece also partly covered the pot and kept not only the crown but the soil more or less dry too. If it had been in the ground it would have been impossible to keep the soil dry and I'm sure it would have sustained at least some damage. Works for me so I'm sticking to it !! :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks, gary what type of soil mixture do they prefer?. karl.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Mine are in a mix of 3:1 of JI no 3 to gravel icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok great, i have bit the bullet & ordered a large 40cm trunk one off nigel, i'm still up in the air as to whether it goes in the ground staked, or into a large pot to build up a good network of roots then plant out in say 2 seasons time?, i realise they need plenty of sun so this will also be a factor in my decision to pot or plant, do they establish a decent root system quickly. karl
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

good luck,i hope you are successful. i wasnt,took 2-3 years to slowly defoliate never showing any signs of any threads,let alone roots. bear in mind,these are tap-rooted and as we know,a lot of tap rooted stuff wont re-root,dasys will but it is hit and miss stuff.id deffo keep potted for a few years too,i got lucky and found one that a very learned gardener had established and sold to me.it started flowering in october ,stalled over winter,then resumed in march.on the worst winter nights i threw a green bag over the top to keep off the worst frost.
(pic from october)
Attachments
29012012087 (Large).jpg
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks !!, i've just come in from digging a hole ready for its arrival tuesday!!, i'd been pondering over the last few days whether to pot or stake it in ground, anyway i've found the last most sunniest spot in garden & dug loads of drainage in. I will mix a real loamy mix & put lots of sharp sand and gravel in. Nigel's giving me a 10 year guarrantee anyway :) . karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Recieved the plant today & decided to plant out, i will post some pic's later or tommorow.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Here are before & after pic's:
Attachments
022 (361x640).jpg
023 (361x640).jpg
024 (361x640).jpg
025 (361x640).jpg
026 (361x640).jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dig it up and plant it in a mound. It is likely to be in a sump there as all the water will collect in the bottom of the planting hole. Even better pot it up for a year or two.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, many thanks for your opinion, but i'm going to leave where it is now as its draining away superb & i've made a rain shelter for it . While i value everyones views everyone has there own viewpoint!, i think even though i have a healthy plant at present i would not go down the bare root road again unless i ever put up a good greenhouse or polytunnel. Also i have a busy roofing business & 2 staff to keep so my time with palms must be cut down in near future. Regards karl.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Very nice Karl, its another on my wanted list....let us all know how it does. icon_salut
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Paul, lets hope it stays looking nice!, i will keep doing an update on its progress & as its a bare root one it will be interesting to see how it settles. I will do every thing in my power to defy the odd's & get it through the first winter, as by next summer it should hopefully have taken a good foothold in the ground. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok, with the summer fast running out i need to make a final decision on this plant. I have had it planted in the ground for only 3 days in a perfect draining medium but i'm still not settled as to whether this is 100% ok :? , Listening to various view's my new idea is to remove it again, fill say a 30/50 litre pot with john innes no 3 & cat litter, plant the pot back in the origonal hole for 4 months or so then bring up against a brick wall & wrap in fleece when severe cold comes?, thing is , with my limited experience i dont know what advantage this would be over keeping in the ground & covering with a rain shelter?. karl.