Faxionia.

karl66

Faxionia.

Post by karl66 »

I may have an issue here with one of my favorite yucca's, this afternoon i've been trimming back some of the snow damage & a couple of the fronds which were cut back last year have a real smelly glue like substance coming out?, the plant looks super healthy in every way & is pushing out new spear's?. its still a lovely green colour. I've pushed a small pair of scissors in the trunk & it does feel a little softer than it should be?, is this on the way down or will it pick up when temp's do. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Faxionia.

Post by Dave Brown »

Don't know much about the species but Yucca can suffer patches of rot on the trunk, but is not always a major problem.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks, i will keep my eye on it now. If it does deteriate it will be down to wet in my opinion & not cold as its always draped in severe weather. karl.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Hi Karl, thought I'd mention another Yucca which I had similar problems with to yours. Mine was a Rostrata and had terrible damage. The trunk was soggy, leaves pulled out but the inner leaves looked okay and were slowly growing. I really thought I was gonna lose this Yucca. Rain kept filling up where the damage was and really didn't know what to do with it for the best. Anyway, through the Summer left it open to try to dry it out and the next Winter wrapped fleece around the damaged part to try to protect it a little bit. Had a cover over it was well. It gradually recovered slowly, the soggy damaged area sealed and is now hard, and last Summer put a bit more healthy growth on. It's not back to how it was yet, but its alive, am thankful for that. Here's a pic as to what it looked like then. Pretty isn't it!!!
Picture%201718%20[640x480].jpg
Picture%201718%20[640x480].jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 2642 times

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Di, thanks for your input, the crazy think about my faxionia is it looks a picture of health with no damage until the snow broke a few leaf's. I guess they can be slow to show damage, there regarded as a tough nut in the yucca world so i'm a little suprised. karl.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

The best thing you can do Karl, is try to keep it dry if you can.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I had a Yucca carnerosana that went a similar way.

The smell of that gunk which came out of the trunk was stinking.

I reckon the Yuccas with the big, thick leaves are worse for trapping wet in the crown than the thinner ones.

Fingers crossed the damage isn't too bad for you Karl.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Adam D wrote:I had a Yucca carnerosana that went a similar way.

The smell of that gunk which came out of the trunk was stinking.

I reckon the Yuccas with the big, thick leaves are worse for trapping wet in the crown than the thinner ones.

Fingers crossed the damage isn't too bad for you Karl.
Yes Adam I agree with that prognosis
Yucca Aloifolia
IMG_0437.JPG
Strangely the leaves on this Aloifolia started to recurve and with all the rain we have had have taken their toll
The usual fastigiated leaves underneath are unharmed
BTW I leave all leaves on all yucca species. I prefer full skirted where possible and that would include Faxoniana.
There's a nice pic of a full skirting Faxoniana on the Tropical Centre website. Best left as nature intended.