Opuntia New Acquisition

flounder

Opuntia New Acquisition

Post by flounder »

Just been given a trough of Opuntia, wicked things, should come with a pair of tweezers!
DSC03263.jpg
DSC03264.jpg
DSC03265.jpg
If I can dig out some full riot gear, I might repot them individually
Springy

Re: Opuntia New Acquisition

Post by Springy »

I used to use folded newspaper to act as a protective layer around the leaves/pads. It doesn't tend to damage the spines so much as when wearing just gloves!
Good luck with it though! icon_salut

Is it just me or does this part look like a rabbit holding a frying pan?! :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Springy wrote:Is it just me or does this part look like a rabbit holding a frying pan?! :lol:
Funny you should say that. Opuntia macrodasys is known as Bunny ears prickly pear.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Springy wrote:I used to use folded newspaper to act as a protective layer around the leaves/pads. It doesn't tend to damage the spines so much as when wearing just gloves!
Good luck with it though! icon_salut

Is it just me or does this part look like a rabbit holding a frying pan?! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like them Flounder, i would never of in a million years thought i would like cacti but ive been checking them out lately, they get amazing flowers. I bought a tiddler a few weeks ago and took it outside this morning, one of the spines went into my thumb, It Bl**dy hurt, vicious little S*d :mrgreen:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Not exactly a cuddly bunny plant, then.
flounder

Post by flounder »

My nephew brought it over for me. We moved it from his car 20ft against the house wall. My hands and arms are like a pincushion! Each spine is barbed. I won't be using newpaper when I repot them, I'm quite adept with a barge pole :D
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I love them Flounder. But what type of Opuntia are they? The only cactus i have currently is a Dragon Fruit that i`ve grown from seed. It`s gone from strength to strength in my Conservatory and i`m hoping one day it will flower and bear fruit. It`s 3 years old now from seed and has stems around 12 inches long. I too never thought i`d be interested in growing cacti but i`m starting to get a passion for them. I really need to grow some more.
kindredspirit

Post by kindredspirit »

I bought forceps for handling and weeding between things like cacti and agaves. Brill.