Arid bed - the finished article!

ourarka

Arid bed - the finished article!

Post by ourarka »

So, as my new desert bed nears completion I have taken delivery of 10 reputedly 'UK hardy' cacti and succulents. Just wondered which of them are worth a go, and which are a no-no as probably don't need to plant them all. It is a well drained, raised bed and I am hoping to cover most in winter to keep dry.

Delosperma cooperii
echinocereus triglochidiatus
echinocereus viridiflorus
opuntia macrorhiza
gymnocalycium gibbosum
aloe aristata
echinocereus baileyi
ferocactus wislizeni
gymnocalycium bruchii
agave utahensis
Last edited by ourarka on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fieldfest

Re: A cacti delivery - which ones are ACTUALLY hardy?

Post by fieldfest »

aloe aristata is hardy at least
flounder

Post by flounder »

You should get away with the opuntia and the agave as well.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Agave utahensis doesn't like too much water, suggest you plant it straight into gravel or give some overhead protection......some pics too please!
kindredspirit

Post by kindredspirit »

Delosperma Cooperii is tough.

Note! Flowers only open in full sunshine and it was cloudy when I took the pic a couple of days ago.
kindredspirit

Post by kindredspirit »

And when the sun came out today.

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

WOW...that is lovely, especially with the feature plants inbetween. I have some in a pot, I might try planting it out to see if it will spread.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
call

Post by call »

all are but the agave utahensis, the ferocactus and gymnocalycium need protection from the winter wet
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks guys - very helpful. Just wondered which of them would you say needs the driest roots? I am going to make a little mound of rocks, and in the top plant something in a pure gritty/gravel substrate?
kata

Post by kata »

Gorgeous plant that Delosperma cooperii and have a patch just waiting for it,

I already bought a lovely Gentian blue, a Speedwell, and a Lithodora Heavenly blue. I could not believe I had bought on tuesday amongst those a Delosperma cooperii. I bought it because its similar to the kind I saw in Tenerife three years ago on the crazy golf, it spreads like wildfire..they were orange.
delospermacooperiijune2013.jpg
The Delosperma cooperii

This below is the Chaenorhinum originifolium 'Blue dream'.
chaenorhinum-origanifolium-blue-dream.jpg
chaenorhinum-origanifolium-blue-dream.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Ihope your plants do ok Ouraka.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
ourarka

Re: A cacti delivery - which ones are ACTUALLY hardy? +pics

Post by ourarka »

Ok, some pics as we stand...... just waiting to put plants in. I haven't quite decided where each is going. Also bought a big yucca and agave (types escape me at the mo) to make it look a bit more established. I am also thinking of a dwarf palm of some kind (possibly Cham humilis) on the far right to provide a 'transition' between desert scape and normal garden.
Attachments
Post-cleaning of old rockery
Post-cleaning of old rockery
Pre-planting (all thoughts welcome!)
Pre-planting (all thoughts welcome!)
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Looking good although I am sure you will have to move the rocks around after planting to look more natural. Could you plant a brahea armata as your 'transition' palm, as they also live in desert areas? May need some winter protection though. Most of the less winter hardy agaves can easily be potted up for winter, they do seem to root very easily, not surprising given some of their growing areas.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I've actually put the rocks like that specifically - it is hard to see in that photo but they create a plateau to break up the monotony of flat, red chippings (plus extra height might drain even better) and also wanted to create sort an escarpment in to the small 'pool' that you can just see. In this I am going to put some dark slate chippings, to contrast with the surroundings and almost create the effect of a dry pond bed ..... at least that is the hope.

Brahea armata - will definitely look in to it. Not too much needs winter protection here to be honest so think it would do ok, unless some apocapalytic weather hit my little SE corner!
ourarka

Re: Arid bed - the finished article!

Post by ourarka »

So - it's finished! Obviously plants need to establish but I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the advice.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
paulrm71

Re: Arid bed - the finished article!

Post by paulrm71 »

Looking good, I am sure you will find yourself 'adding' to it as the season goes on lol. What is the large agave at the back, and please could I see a photo of your a. Utahensis?

Cheers paul