Yucca Gloriosa - Pups?

Blairs

Yucca Gloriosa - Pups?

Post by Blairs »

I finally bought some Yucca Gloriosa (Colour Guard and Bright edge according to the label). Whilst repotting and adding sharp drainage I found a number of what I assume are pups - like what you find with Agave but with no growing points as such, almost like separate rhizomes. I have seen Yucca Gloriosa growing like Agave with a number of smaller plants leading from the parent, is that how they grow and propagate? If so then I will need to re think the tight pot that I have as I like the idea of them growing naturally also do I want to guide these 'pups' towards the light, as some are growing downwards after being in a tight nursery pot.
multim

Re: Yucca Gloriosa - Pups?

Post by multim »

New growth from young plants tend to come from the roots fairly close to the mother plant. At first they appear rounded in form until they beak the surface of the soil, thereafter leaves with emerge. Allow the new shoots to form a rosette of leaves at which time, new roots would have formed. Simply find the root from the mother plant from which the new growth has come, cut cleanly and remove the root section and new plant and pot-up. Use a sharp draining compost and the new plant will quickly establish. The wound to the root where it was cut will soon heal.
The is a saying in the U.S. 'Never dig around a Yucca'. This is quite simply that if (many) forms of Yucca roots are damaged by a spade or such like, this then initiates the plant to form new growth from the damaged roots.
Blairs

Re: Yucca Gloriosa - Pups?

Post by Blairs »

Very useful, thank you Multim