When to start protecting arids?

ourarka

When to start protecting arids?

Post by ourarka »

This summer I created a new arid bed, with a selection of borderline hardy cacti, agaves and yuccas. Just wondered when I should start to protect? Am I right in thinking that it isn't cold 'per se' that they dislike, rather cold and wet. Presuming the autumn is a typical rainy English one, is there a temperature at which the 'wet' becomes a problem?
multim

Re: When to start protecting arids?

Post by multim »

It all depends on how well drained is your soil and where your arid bed is sited. Mine is against a SE facing wall and very well drained. Because it's near the wall, the plants are better drained and sheltered than in an exposed position thus requiring little or no protection in Winter, certainly where I am in the south east. I do however give some protection if the weather is wet and below zero forecasted, probably mid December until March. By some protection I mean just covering some plants such as Agaves during the coldest times and removing the covers at the earliest opportunity to allow air to circulate. This may be simply overnight protection and removed during the day as temperatures/weather allows.
Wrapping plants in fleece or whatever over a prolonged period will soon cause the plants demise.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

It is a sunny spot, though quite exposed. Soil drains ok, but certainly not excellent drainage. I don't intend to cover with fleece etc - plan to use plastic bell cloches, propped upon bricks so plants will stay dry but will have air circulating.
multim

Post by multim »

Those plastic bell cloches are very good for small agaves. I used them until the agaves became too large so then I used those opaque plastic storage bins which also work well. I think my agaves may have out grown these so I will have to re-think my occasional covering plans for this year............if necessary! I don't do anything much with Yuccas Thompsoniana, Rostrata and Linearis apart from attempting to keep some of the rain from the crown.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

I used bell cloches last year on a.montana and a.salmiana. The Montana sailed through but despite resting the cloche on bricks, I still lost the salmiana. As I now have more arid plants than last year, I am hoping to built a pergola type shelter over them which I can attach polycarbonate sheeting fro the winter months. I could then remove them for summer. Hoping to get round to this within the next month.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

My arids are rain protected by a large Perspex roof . Under it are Yuccas, Nolinas ,Dasylirions Agaves and Palms. This year I added an extention to keep my Butia Eriospatha dry after it was defoliated following a very cold Winter in Holland two years ago. The materials aren't cheap but nor are some of the plants. It is currently bone dry in the ground which will hopefully help some of the more tender arids I have.
IMG_1723.JPG
The extention
IMG_1724.JPG
:D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

They look great.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Andy Martin wrote:My arids are rain protected by a large Perspex roof . Under it are Yuccas, Nolinas ,Dasylirions Agaves and Palms. This year I added an extention to keep my Butia Eriospatha dry after it was defoliated following a very cold Winter in Holland two years ago. The materials aren't cheap but nor are some of the plants. It is currently bone dry in the ground which will hopefully help some of the more tender arids I have.
IMG_1723.JPG
The extention
IMG_1724.JPG
:D
ooooooh they look healthy as sin, as good as if planted out natively.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Great andy! That's the type of shelter I am looking for.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Here in London, agaves don't need any protection.

As for the cacti, I think they don't just need to be protected from cold and wet, but also need to be kept dry for a period of time before freezing temps occur. They have anti-freeze in them and if they get too much water it gets diluted and stops serving its purpose.