Agave attenuatta got too big what to do

nicebutdim

Agave attenuatta got too big what to do

Post by nicebutdim »

My attenuatta is not four feet tall in the trunk and has a huge head,is it possible to decapitate the head leaving a small trunk to hopefully grow roots? It's getting too big to lug in and out in winter
kata

Re: Agave attenuatta got too big what to do

Post by kata »

:lol: Lucky you, :lol:

Has it flowered with its long neck, how long have you had it?

Pic please.

:mrgreen:
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

kata wrote::lol: Lucky you, :lol:

Pic please.

Hi I've had it about ten years it hasn't flowered,not sure how to post a pic,I'll workon it
kata

Post by kata »

Make your post in the text box,

Look past 'upload attachment', then see the 'browse', click it will look on your computer then look right of browse when its found it and see add file.

After you add your Image it will appear in a little box, click place inline to add it. Use your mouse by clicking where you want to add it before you add it..

Don't ask why my Attentua Image is called Josh, I dunno. :lol:

I was told it takes 10 years to flower so your not too far off.
josh2.JPG
The Image is not my Image but I did buy one off Ebay then gave it away.

JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Not hardy at all so best to bring it in if you can. Not sure about top cutting. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

attenuatta 2.JPG
nicebutdim wrote:
kata wrote::lol: Lucky you, :lol:

Pic please.

Hi I've had it about ten years it hasn't flowered,not sure how to post a pic,I'll workon it
flounder

Post by flounder »

With the ones around the base of the pot, it's safe to say you could lop off the tall bit. Personally I'd suffer in silence rather than butcher the plant just so it's less work to bring it in!
Nice hibiscus as well by the way icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

It looks quite at home there, very nice I like how its grown,

The Attentua It has the same look (stem) as a trimmed palm.

Agree about the Hibi, lovely color.

icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The top may not root if you were to cut it off now, NBD. You'll be much more successful in April or May. If you keep the pups at the bottom this may weaken the production of new plantlets up the stem. I'd be inclined to cut the stem right back to the pups and allow that to become more bushy and cut the stem into segments to get more individual plants. The top should root separately. Let each piece dry out for a couple of days before inserting in very free-draining medium.

You'll have the makings of an Agave attenuata nursery, there :D

(If the plant were mine I'd want to keep it exactly as it is :mrgreen: but that's no help to you :lol: )
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

GREVILLE wrote:The top may not root if you were to cut it off now, NBD. You'll be much more successful in April or May. If you keep the pups at the bottom this may weaken the production of new plantlets up the stem. I'd be inclined to cut the stem right back to the pups and allow that to become more bushy and cut the stem into segments to get more individual plants. The top should root separately. Let each piece dry out for a couple of days before inserting in very free-draining medium.

You'll have the makings of an Agave attenuata nursery, there :D

(If the plant were mine I'd want to keep it exactly as it is :mrgreen: but that's no help to you :lol: )

Do I take it that if done in May time there is a chance I could keep the leaves on the head intact as they are quite big and wouldn't like to lose them.Incidentally I have left this out through winter and while it tookua battering it didn't die just ruined the leaves,which did finally recover.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If you root the head with a little bit of stem you will still lose some of the bigger lower leaves before the top opens out. The plant will appear to shrink in size for a time before increasing growth bulks it back again, especially if you refill some very gritty compost around the rising stem.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

id have to try and keep that going til it flowered,even if it meant smashing the pot off and changing for a much lighter one
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

I agree Red, crazy to reduce now its almost there, I really like it as is.

If it was mine I would either bag it or very carefully dig it up and pot in a big square pot. Keep it going during winter when it can be re-planted or even left in the pot.
squarepot.gif
squarepot.gif (73.47 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
http://aq.be/402bfe

I just bought a very thick fleece bag with a zip for my Fern, one like that would be Ideal for that Attentua, £15.00.

:( :(
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

problem with this one there K,they dont like freezing temps full stop. icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Pity that Red,

As we sell them on ebay I thought maybe some strains may be aclimatised.

We should all move to Tenerife... :lol: :lol: