All my Succulents now indoors for winter

sanatic1234

All my Succulents now indoors for winter

Post by sanatic1234 »

Brought them all inside now due to the amount of rain we have had and are still going to get, so it is now a case of get them dried a bit before winter arrives. :)
Attachments
phpQaOevsPM.jpg
php3ncMNoPM.jpg
phpLTHcbePM.jpg
GREVILLE

Re: All my Succulents now indoors for winter

Post by GREVILLE »

All look pristine, San icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks Greville. icon_thumright All the ones in the small pots were re-potted earlier in the growing season but already need re-potting again, the roots are coming out the pots. Next season i will over pot them a bit not a lot but a bit so that they have more root room.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

A nice little collection San. I find myself looking more and more for hardy types, quite infectious.
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah they are youngsters and they are new this year apart from the bigger agaves outside of the trays had them 2 years this is the list of the ones i brought this year.

Agave Mormorata
Agave Cupreata
Agave Maximiliana
Agave Palmeri
Agave Havardiana
Agave Chazaroi
Agave Gigantensis
Agave Stricta Var Rubra
Agave Nizandensis
Yucca Torreyi
Yucca Carnerosana
Puya Ferruginea
Puya Chilensis

I have plans to get more as well. I am trying to think of the idea location to make a succulent bed, i was going to do it near some conifers as i thought the soil would be poor and that is what they will be use to in there natural environment, they have a bit of shelter and get quite a bit of sun, But i have plans also to put bamboo's and some grasses there, i already have 2 small Trachycarpus planted in that section that will start to rocket away next year and a small washingtonia robusta which will probably be dead after winter anyway and i have a cordyline in that section and a t-rex so putting all agave in there wouldn't really fit in either. Plus i would have dig up some things when altering the soil for the agave's so now i need to think of a place but i have one idea, This section where my gladiola's are. Just make the section a bit wider.
Attachments
phpLLLpPnAM.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Good collection san - some Agave that I have not heard of.

Long term plan is to make an arid bed as well. I have a large area 1m-ish by 5m-ish next to the kitchen wall that is south facing that is just gravel and builders sand topped with red gravel chipping. Have my Agave in terracotta pots on top of that at the moment. Plan is to raise the bed slightly and line it with zinc on the outside.

I am keen on the variegated and spiky Agave and I am a sucker for Agave americana medio picta alba as I just love the combo of colour.

I am on the look out for Agave gentryi 'Jaws'.
kata

Post by kata »

Well done San,

Early bird catches the worm.

icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Blairs wrote:Good collection san - some Agave that I have not heard of.

Long term plan is to make an arid bed as well. I have a large area 1m-ish by 5m-ish next to the kitchen wall that is south facing that is just gravel and builders sand topped with red gravel chipping. Have my Agave in terracotta pots on top of that at the moment. Plan is to raise the bed slightly and line it with zinc on the outside.

I am keen on the variegated and spiky Agave and I am a sucker for Agave americana medio picta alba as I just love the combo of colour.

I am on the look out for Agave gentryi 'Jaws'.
Your planting space sounds ideal Blairs. Especially that south facing wall, the one thing i would love to have. :( You can't beat Agave americana brilliant agaves! I am going to be asking local builders about rubble they will be chucking away and seeing if they want me to take some off there hands. :-) you never know i could get lucky.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Had to be done kata. Or it would of been a case of the rain finishes off the succulents :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

San, i added a nice wee Ovatifolia on the weekend. Now looking for montana, neomexicana and a truncata to add as well.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

They sound very interesting Arlon. :-) If i come across any of those i will let you know mate. You are on facebook arlon aren't you?
Arlon Tishmarsh

sanatic1234 wrote:They sound very interesting Arlon. :-) You are on facebook arlon aren't you?
Have a peep now and again via mrs account .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Remember there is a difference between Cacti and Succulents. Cacti need to be kept dry over winter, where as Succulents can tolerate dry conditions. Bone dry Succulents in April will deteriorate rapidly, particularly if small. Agave lose all lower leaves if too dry.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

good post Dave,important to keep them cool too whilst dryish so you dont get skinny leggy growth
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

So give them the agaves a light watering every so often over the winter then or more often with them being small the bigger ones i have had 2 years now they seem to be fine with being watered once over winter. Have notice that my Aeonium drops quite a few leaves over winter but i did put that down to lack of sunlight.