Does this Opuntia need protecting?

ourarka

Does this Opuntia need protecting?

Post by ourarka »

I have an 'unidentified' Opuntia in my arid bed, and wondering what it's chance of getting through the winter unprotected is ..... as a cloche has yet to be designed in the size and shape! The bed is raised, and reasonably well drained, though not 'arid specific'. I am on the SE coast so very cold is unusual, though obviously we can be wet like the best of you!
Attachments
image.jpg
fern Rob

Re: Does this Opuntia need protecting?

Post by fern Rob »

I would protect it.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Best thing would be to stop it getting wet by building a polycarbonate shelter over the top (I had planned to build a huge shelter over my arid bed this year, but have not found the time, som it's things are going to have to chance it). I would also break off a couple of pads, wait till they callus over and then pot them up in a very free draining substrate and overwinter indoors. At least you will have a couple of spares if your main plant dies.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

I would pot if up and take it to a greenhouse or conservatory for the winter
As other posters have said its nor the cold that gets them it's the prolonged wet
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
call

Post by call »

well I have a really young opuntia that survived in a hole in a log with no protection at all :DD
and you are not all that far away from me, but I think maybe a bit of overhead cover to keep the rain off and keep it looking its best :wink:

ps. it does look a bit like o.robusta
flounder

Post by flounder »

As long as the drainage is good, they can look after themselves. We only get down to about -2.5c in an average winter(give or take). I would say if anything lower forecast just throw some fleece over it and maybe put a placcy bag over the pads but good luck trying to get the fleece back off!
If you're still worried, dig it up and chuck it under cover...away from human contact or it'll get yer every time you go near it
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Looks very like hardy opuntias I have from seed distributed by the bcss some years ago. I've had them planted out for a few years. Leave it and see how it looks after winter. It will survive I'm sure.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Leave it............but take a couple of pads off, just in case :wink:
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

GREVILLE wrote:Leave it............but take a couple of pads off, just in case :wink:
Done! (but cloched to keep out the worst of the wet)
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

So, I used one of my better cloches on this as it is fairly big and none of the standard bell cloches fitted it. It is in the front garden and survived, with ease, the St Jude's day storm and then this week was pinched ..... charming. Guess it'll have to just take its chances this winter ..... cant afford to 'donate' cloches to the local light-fingered gardeners.

Fingers crossed for cold and dry .... or very warm and wet.