Yucca Rostrata More Popular Than Rigida?

gtiboy

Yucca Rostrata More Popular Than Rigida?

Post by gtiboy »

Hi, I would like to know why Yucca Rostrata is more common to buy online / nurseries than Yucca Rigida - which I can hardly find any vendors for.

Alot of websites claim it's hardy to -10 to -20 degrees Celsius. And generally known as the better looking Yucca.. So why is this particular Yucca not common to purchase?
fern Rob

Re: Yucca Rostrata More Popular Than Rigida?

Post by fern Rob »

never heard or seen one for sale.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Simon at Amulree sells them, I have both, so far so good unprotected this year.
I do grow them in a lot of gravel & potted though rather than letting them get waterlogged in the ground.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I planted a 4 or 5 year old seedling out a couple of years ago. I didn't survive it's first winter planted out :(
gtiboy

Post by gtiboy »

JoelR wrote:I planted a 4 or 5 year old seedling out a couple of years ago. I didn't survive it's first winter planted out :(
Do you have a picture of what a 4/5 year old seedling looks like?
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

No pic of the plant unfortunately but I do have other seedlings in their 4th year of Y. faxoniana and Y. baccata. These are still in 1.4L extra deep pots and still quite small plants. Bit of a long term project from seed!
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Yucca Rostrata is certainly hardier than Rigida even though they do co exist on the extremities of their natural habitat.
Rigida also displays a a much bluer leaf than Rostrata. My Rigida which I keep dry has really taken off this year producing beautiful deep blue leaves which eventually turn sea green. Yucca rigida is dry hardy to around -12C while Rostrata is dry hardy to -15/17C. A pic of my trunked Rigida
IMG_1450.JPG
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

rigida is indeed a much more vibrant blue and better looking plant imo but it doesnt tolerate wet very well at all.ive tried 2 in the ground,both rotted but recover slowly if re-potted and kept much drier. both will probably decease this year as the pt colllapsed yesterday and they are both out in the garden now not that they look much good after previous attempts to grow in the garden.
when gary w was in bournemouth,he had one planted in pure gravel in his front garden,a picture of health too icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure