Planting Yucca Rostrata..What Soil Requirements?

gtiboy

Planting Yucca Rostrata..What Soil Requirements?

Post by gtiboy »

Hi all,

In the spring I will attempt to plant my Yucca Rostrata in the garden taking it out of its pot. What is the best soil mixture when plating these. I'm aware it needs good drainage but what soil does it require?
multim

Re: Planting Yucca Rostrata..What Soil Requirements?

Post by multim »

They seem to prefer soil on the alkaline/neutral side which is what my soil is and they do well. The drainage factor is most important.
kata

Post by kata »

So add Vermiculite or perlite...on a calm day.

icon_cheers
Simba

Post by Simba »

When planting out Yucca, I raise the planting level by building a little mound, with one handful JI3, one handful of gravel...finally top off with a good layer of gravel and larger rocks around the trunk.

The Arid Rockery
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What size is your gtiboy? I amwanting to plant mine as well to free up more room for other plants when i get them, also thinking about planting the cycas revoulta to. :-)

Simba as always i love your garden. Every picture i see is great. Your yucca is huge, mine hasn't even formed a trunk. I have had mine 3 years now from a friend on HTUK, not sure how long they had it.
gtiboy

Post by gtiboy »

[quote="sanatic1234"]What size is your gtiboy? I amwanting to plant mine as well to free up more room for other plants when i get them, also thinking about planting the cycas revoulta to. :-)

My Rostrata is 100cm tall with 40cm of trunk, sitting in a 30ltr pot.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I will be planting mine out in pure gravel and sand. Drainage shouldn't be an issue but it will need some fertilizer!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Very nice, i found out that mine is roughly a round 7 years old. No trunk at all on mine. What do you think its chances would be like outside planted? your sounds great gitboy. :) When will you plant it in the spring? Do these like to be over potted for there roots or under potted?
gtiboy

Post by gtiboy »

Yes i'll plant mine out in the spring, I'll think i'll use John Innes no3 with lots sand and grit. As for over potted im not sure on that one, I purchased mine from the palmcentre. I'll find out soon as i'd like to know if it's fully rooted to be plant out.

If yours is 7 years old then I can only assume mine is older. Can anyone here give an approximate age for Yucca Rostrata to start forming a trunk?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yours will be a LOT older than mine gtiboy, I asked how long it takes to form a trunk couple years ago but don't think i had a response to that one? :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

a bit of advice for anyone planting one out.if its at all tight in the pot,cut the pot off rather than try to knock the plant out.the roots are very tender and snap like runner beans.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure