lithops

James1991

lithops

Post by James1991 »

can lithops be grown outside? i think they are pretty cool and they are also pretty cheap in my local gc
Conifers

Re: lithops

Post by Conifers »

In Namibia, yes. In Britain, no. Sorry!
call

Post by call »

They ARE hardy to -5 or so but have to be kept bone dry and should only be watered in winter if it looks like they are really suffering.

so a plant for an unheated greenhouse :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Probably the plant that has the least impact in a garden setting. After all, it's easily mistaken for a pebble.

However, it should most definitely be grown outside...before being put inside a greenhouse for winter. As it's a small curiosity it would look great in a mini-garden mixed with other dwarf cacti and succulents in some elegant terracotta poking out of a contrasting gravel dressing.
James1991

Post by James1991 »

i know what you mean about them being mistaken for pebbles but ive seen large groups planted together and i thought they looked pretty cool :) how do they cope with humidity in a greenhouse?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

James1991 wrote:i know what you mean about them being mistaken for pebbles but ive seen large groups planted together and i thought they looked pretty cool :)
Ooops, sorry, just trod on them! .... Errr, well you see I thought it was a gravel path ..... :oops: :lol:
James1991 wrote:how do they cope with humidity in a greenhouse?
Depends on the greenhouse - if it's set to humid tropical then no, if it's set to dry heat, then fine.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Not lithops but there are other mesembs well worth growing outside.