Yucca Thompsonia.

karl66

Yucca Thompsonia.

Post by karl66 »

Out of all the large trunked yucca's I have this has the most cosmetic damage of them all this year. Its a triple headed 5ft plus & been planted out a few years now, the crown's are all solid but there's a fair amount of spotting & discouloured leaf's , large linearis & rostrata planted opposite sides are totally unmarked? hopefully some warm weather will sort out this issue, last summer they grew spectacular looking heads. karl.
cordyman

Re: Yucca Thompsonia.

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Out of all the large trunked yucca's I have this has the most cosmetic damage of them all this year. Its a triple headed 5ft plus & been planted out a few years now, the crown's are all solid but there's a fair amount of spotting & discouloured leaf's , large linearis & rostrata planted opposite sides are totally unmarked? hopefully some warm weather will sort out this issue, last summer they grew spectacular looking heads. karl.
any pics Karl,

i've since put a fleece bag over the top of mine, not for cold but to keep a bit of the constant rain off :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I thought i was loosing one of my yucca last year through rot, i noticed the fatsia leave's above were acting like a waterfall and the rain was pouring straight into the yucka crown, i cut the stems back on the fatsia so i just have top growth, the yucka survived and i checked just last week that the same wasn't happening, it was fine, no downpour into the crown, phew..
franckm

Post by franckm »

Here's one of my Yucca thompsoniana, shooted in summer 2012. It took -12/-15° the winter just previous this pic. No damage. This winter 2013/14 is similar as yours in UK, mild and very very humid this year. Thompsoniana is Ok either Rostrata. I do not have linearifolia unfortunatelly, but quereatoensis which is ok too.

Franck 8)
Attachments
yucca Thompsoniana - aout 2012.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

franckm wrote:Here's one of my Yucca thompsoniana, shooted in summer 2012. It took -12/-15° the winter just previous this pic. No damage. This winter 2013/14 is similar as yours in UK, mild and very very humid this year. Thompsoniana is Ok either Rostrata. I do not have linearifolia unfortunatelly, but quereatoensis which is ok too.

Franck 8)

Great specimen!!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deedee wrote:I thought i was loosing one of my yucca last year through rot, i noticed the fatsia leave's above were acting like a waterfall and the rain was pouring straight into the yucka crown, i cut the stems back on the fatsia so i just have top growth, the yucka survived and i checked just last week that the same wasn't happening, it was fine, no downpour into the crown, phew..

A fatsia waterfall :shock: :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

cordyman wrote:
Deedee wrote:I thought i was loosing one of my yucca last year through rot, i noticed the fatsia leave's above were acting like a waterfall and the rain was pouring straight into the yucka crown, i cut the stems back on the fatsia so i just have top growth, the yucka survived and i checked just last week that the same wasn't happening, it was fine, no downpour into the crown, phew..

YES :mrgreen:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I had a lovely one that I bought 5 years ago from Nigel Kembrey.

I managed to re-root it and planted it out in the sunniest and most well-drained spot in my garden.

However, excessive amounts in 2011 and 2012 caused the water table in my back garden to rise and rise and the roots rotted away.

Keeping rain out of their crowns is a good idea, but there comes a point when you can't do much for them apart from pray for a long period of weather.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deedee wrote:
cordyman wrote:

YES :mrgreen:
I think I need one in my life, sounds great, away from my yuccas of course drunken_smilie1 :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I will get some pic's up soon, been very busy. karl.