Opuntia - thriving

ourarka

Opuntia - thriving

Post by ourarka »

Staggered at how well my two planted Opuntia are doing after the horror show of a winter. Theyve had no protection and, although the bed is raised, the soil is really not that great in terms of drainage. It’s only plusses are exposed and full sun, so air circulation is good. Both the foreground and background ones have dozens of flower buds and new pads.
Attachments
6F6AD29D-BB31-4CCF-8941-B02DA84DFEE9.jpeg
GREVILLE

Re: Opuntia - thriving

Post by GREVILLE »

Dry enough to stop the rot icon_salut
tatter

Opuntia - thriving

Post by tatter »

HI Ourarka
Do you know what type of Opuntia they are and do you cover in winter>
Thanks
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Blairs

Opuntia - thriving

Post by Blairs »

Would be good to know what type as I would like to try. I have the plan Opuntia ficus-indica which I kept indoors this winter. Yours looks more spiky but can be mine are immature. I tried the fruit as I got 3. Lots of stone like seeds, very purple pink watery juice which stains and tasted like grass. I was expecting something sweet.
sazmo

Opuntia - thriving

Post by sazmo »

Gorgeous.
Conifers

Opuntia - thriving

Post by Conifers »

Blairs wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:46 am Would be good to know what type as I would like to try. I have the plan Opuntia ficus-indica which I kept indoors this winter.
O. ficus-indica is a tropical species and isn't very hardy. The hardiest is O. fragilis (map), followed by O. polyacantha (map) and O. humifusa (map), though all of these are fairly small.
tatter

Opuntia - thriving

Post by tatter »

ANYBODY any idea what OPUNTIA it is ? pleeeeeeeeeeese icon_scratch
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Conifers

Opuntia - thriving

Post by Conifers »

tatter wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 pm ANYBODY any idea what OPUNTIA it is ? pleeeeeeeeeeese icon_scratch
Try the key here; it should be one of these:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? ... _id=123045

Bit annoying it starts with a fruit query, but if you try both leads 2 and 10, and see where you get from there. Tho' I must admit even after that, it isn't a very easy key to use!

One hint, yours isn't likely to be one of the rarer restricted range species; when you've got a choice between two options, look at the species' distribution map, and go for species from further north and with a wider range.
ourarka1

Opuntia - thriving

Post by ourarka1 »

Hiya - sorry for late replies .... I'd been frozen out but now re-registered!! Tatters, I have no idea (sorry!!) - I would also love to know what type it is as it seems pretty indestructible (now I've done it!). Took the Beast (and December's wet) in its stride.
DaveBedfordUK

Opuntia - thriving

Post by DaveBedfordUK »

Hi ya Im new to this website. However I think you have OPUNTIA 'MACROCENTRA'. Which is good down to -20 celsius. Have a look at the link below. https://www.thepalmtreecompany.com/prod ... k-shipping.

Im thinking of buying some for my current work place where we have a Texas themed landscape. Should do the trick. :D

Dave