Another Arid Bed

simon

Re: Another Arid Bed

Post by simon »

Awesome work Ali. That was a real challenge to protect that bed and you've done such a good job. A great bit of engineering.
Ali K

Post by Ali K »

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll make sure Si gets to read them all as the tunnel was mostly his design and he did more of the work than me. I don't think anyone would want to clone him at the mo, he's in bed with a nasty dose of man flu, first sicky he's had since I've known him.

I'm really pleased with the bed so far, plants that have grown the most are Agave mitis, obscura and weberi. The Nolina nelsoni must have grown some roots as it's pushing out top growth and Agave montana has started to grow now it's got colder. The only negative thing, SLUGS :evil: I can't believe how many there are. They've munched the tips off of every echeveria (except rosea) and started on the Agave mitis, I put some slug pellets down around the mitis but then spotted a few frogs and newts on the bed so we now have a new evening past time, slug hunting. :roll:
Don

Post by Don »

My belated congratulations on a brilliant job of the bed and protection.
Cloning Simon? I prefer the real thing so just pass him round to those that have requested his services. May I have him first, even with a dose of flu, as it worries me not. I've had doses of worse things.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Very ingenious icon_salut It's great to see it all settling in so well and I look forward to more pics as it matures :P Hope Si's feeling better very soon, and good luck with your slug hunting icon_aaargh
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I'm very impressed Ali and Si icon_salut Looks great and should keep the arids unflawed icon_cheers
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Wow, i have only just looked in. What a great idea. I can think of parts of our garden that would benefit from something like that, but i really couldnt imagine where to start building one. 8)

well done Si

(intersting that its all the gay blokes after him) icon_cheers
Mark

Post by Mark »

:shock: We have Gays on this forum? :shock: :lol:

Ali, Your best keeping him to yourself as god knows what condition you would get him back in :wink:

Get well soon Si.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

We have Gays on this forum?

Ali, Your best keeping him to yourself as god knows what condition you would get him back in
LOL

That's made me smile on a dreary Monday morning Mark!!
mikefromniagara6b

Post by mikefromniagara6b »

Great selection of plants and garden!

Hope they all do well for you and with the planting against the wall like that they should get some nice heating!

I hear you about the work! I moved in ten tonnes of pea gravel and sand mix to plant mine. Glad that is done!

Best wishes for success with the new planting!

Mike
Ali K

Post by Ali K »

I don't know if he'd be flattered or frightened to hear that all the 'gay blokes' require his services :lol: but I'm sure John would be first in line as he's promised to make him a cake and Si is a sucker for cake (I probably shouln't have used 'sucker' should I :roll: ). I think I better keep him to myself :D
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

LOL.

Where did you find the poly tunnel in the end Did you buy one that rest against a wall or alter one by cutting the legs off one side? Either way it seems to be the perfect size for your bed.
Ali K

Post by Ali K »

We tried to buy locally as we live in an agricultural area but people kept letting us down, promising to get back to us with prices etc. Si even looked around a place within walking distance of ours, he found all the bits and pieces he needed just laying around but the guy messed us about, although he promised to come back with a price he obviously couldn't be bothered or maybe just didn't have the time.

Anyway, we started running out of time and in the end just bought the hoops and plastic from a place in Scotland ( not very environmentally friendly alien ), it wasn't cheap but at least it's done now. Some places wouldn't sell us a part tunnel as they said it would never work. :roll:
bodster

Post by bodster »

where was that ali? would be nice to know a good supplier
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

That looks amazing icon_cheers wel done both of you.

Would love to have something like that over our arid bank :( dream on

Melissa
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Ali

That looks really great and I just wish we had bought that Nolina, never mind the Tree Fern you and Simon talked Trev into buying has done really well and continues to impress everyone Trev drags into our garden to show it off to, it was a great bargain at £160. We need to start bringing in our tender plants especially the Maurelli, Brugmansias and Cacti as the temps are now beginning to fall. Our garden has been really overcrowded this year and we have run out of space to put new plants (it's only tiny at 50' wide by 70' deep) but if we manage to make space for new plants we look forward to meeting up with you again.

Jean