The hardiest cactus

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: The hardiest cactus

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ian we are having a meet tomorrow if you can make it?

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =4&t=11155
IanD

Post by IanD »

Hi Yorkshire Kris, I have posted a (rather long) introduction in the new members part of the forum, as you will see I do not have a lot in my garden, this is all new to me and Gill,
I will gladly send you some pads from my cactus and if you have any cuttings etc which are suitable for someone who has not got green fingers and has no knowledge of gardening it would be most welcome. At the moment I am spending my time preparing to receive a greenhouse which is due in the next few weeks (when the weather allows!) and sadly due to the circumstances with my wife I am not really available to attend any get togethers.
I have seen some of the pictures on the forum and there are some great gardens around, sadly mine is not one of them! But we will do our best to improve it.
Cheers
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi Ian and welcome!
I have tried Opuntias outdoors without much success but have read that they will grow low to the ground rather than upright, as a sort of survival technique against the winter cold. Yours do look a bit 'spready' like this.
Well done you!!! icon_salut
IanD

Post by IanD »

Yorkshire Kris, I got your PM but I am not authorised to reply (I assume it is because I am a new member) If you send me an email address I will get back to you. Thanks
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

IanD wrote:Yorkshire Kris, I got your PM but I am not authorised to reply (I assume it is because I am a new member) If you send me an email address I will get back to you. Thanks
You need to contact Dave Brown and get him to fix that for you.
call

Post by call »

some gymnocalycium are said to be fairly hardy :D
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I think Oputia fragillis could be the hardiest cactus, it grows farther north than any other cactus does some 8 degrees south of the Arctic Circle, I have some that was said to be the most northerly collected at a place called Peace River in Canada.

Tony
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

The first hardy cactus I came across was Maiheunia poeppigii and I've had it planted out for 6 or 7 years but it's not a very impressive plant.

Opuntia compressa (also called humifusa which may be several species) might be the hardiest cactus. I have 2 or 3 forms inc. one from New Jersey and one from Monmouth County. Some people think opuntias are too sprawly and untidy and favour other forms of cacti.

Gymnocalycium bruchii is worth a go. Sort of pudding shaped with stunning flowers usually white or pink. I have one growing outside doing ok. Gymno gibbosum is bigger and forms a nice clump. Not tried it oudoors yet.

Some species of Echinocereus species are supposed to be hardy. None have come out of my coldframe yet but they were absolutely fine in there through -13.5C. E. reichenbachii baileyi was the first one I managed to find but it's a bit slow from seed. Year 4 now and still quite small plants! E. triglochidiatus has very nice red flowers. Will plant at least one out this year.

The most impressive outdoor cacti in the UK would have to be Trichocereus species. I've so far managed to kill a couple of impressive good sized Trichocereus by leaving them outdoors. The first was T. peruvianus and the second was T. chilensis. T. terscheckii seems to do best from other people's experience. T. pasacana & T. spachianus also worth trying.

Sometimes referred to as Trichocereus, (formerly called Soehrensia and now regarded as Lobivia) formosus and bruchii are doing well outdoors for Paul Spracklin in the south east. Not only are they cold hardy enough, they are used to winter wet in habitat. My L. ssp. formosus is 49 years old and I got it at an auction of a collection belonging to a former BCSS member. The trouble is it's a bit too special to risk killing especially as a smaller one in a pot didn't survive the 09/10 winter. I've finally managed to track down some L. ssp. bruchii only an hour's drive from me at Croston Cactus so will be planting a couple out this year. Off to collect them this weekend...
Last edited by JoelR on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Great post joel.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Came back from Croston Cactus, Chorley at the weekend with a nice little box of things. Three grapefruit sized Lobivia ssp. bruchii, a Hamatacactus hamatacanthus which I'm told should be hardy, Echinocereus rosei, a natural hybrid which is very hardy. I was given for free a 20cm Agave oroensis :shock: and a cutting of Euphorbia clavarioides which I've been trying to find for a few years.

Also nice to meet a fellow forumite while I was there Eddy (kite567) icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:Came back from Croston Cactus, Chorley at the weekend with a nice little box of things. Three grapefruit sized Lobivia ssp. bruchii, a Hamatacactus hamatacanthus which I'm told should be hardy, Echinocereus rosei, a natural hybrid which is very hardy. I was given for free a 20cm Agave oroensis :shock: and a cutting of Euphorbia clavarioides which I've been trying to find for a few years.

Also nice to meet a fellow forumite while I was there Eddy (kite567) icon_thumleft
Sounds like it was worth the journey.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Actually the free Agave Oroensis is 30cm across :shock: I did take him a box of surplus plants though. Still a decent swap.
call

Post by call »

cool im ordering from them in the spring :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

my vote goes for opuntia as well the 2 forms I have will take -20c without issue. one seems to be humifusa the other I have no idea and need a proper ID on. the humifusa flowers yellow and gets red fruit and has no long spines the other gets long white spines and since wild harvested no idea of the flower.

type unknown

think humifusa

pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

Hi put out a new post on grafting semi hardy plants on opuntia compressa stock-trialling it at the moment. If any one has any experience on this-have they tried it -would love to know

phil