The hardiest cactus

GARYnNAT

Re: The hardiest cactus

Post by GARYnNAT »

Dave Brown wrote:I have been told this is Opuntia Santa Rita with a purple hue.. Even 2 pads which I broke off back in the autumn are just laying there in perfect condition.
Dave I have been looking for one of these for ages, if i get down on my knees and kiss your feet and beg would you part with a pad... pretty please :D

Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

why did you break them off dave? for cuttings?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm going to keep one pad as a spare, I'll let you have the other one Gary. icon_thumright but only if you promise not to kiss my feet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin, I didn't break them off on purpose..... trod back on it while cleaning the windpows :oops:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

Your a gent sir :D loved these when Mel posted a pic a while ago, tried everywhere to find someone listing them. many thanks again and no rush ...tomorrow will do :D no seriously if you could bring it to Akamba I would be greatful, might even have a cordy obtecta green goddess for you hopefully... if it pulls through :D

Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

if you break off anyother one dave. do save it for me. I love that purply colour :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I now have several pm requests for pads of Santa Rita, and I only have two. I'm not breaking any more off, 'cos I like my plant :lol:

Question is...... Can I cut the pads into sections, and if so will all sections be viable, or does it have to have an edge to sprout?
260109 pics 013.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
bodster

Post by bodster »

interesting question for our spikey experts that. I've only ever heard of pads being grown but perhaps thats because its whats tried the most
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Its best to leave the pads as they are. Let the cutingside/wound dry well and root them in spring in pure sand. Now in the winter its best to store those pads at a cool/cold and dry place. Now they are in winterrest anyway.

Alexander
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave - I would guess that you could cut it in half, at least. The cuttings would need to be dried VERY well afterwards - but from my youthful experience I am pretty sure that it would work. I never tried it, as the normal thing to do is one pad = one propagation. But I know how well opuntia can root so really do think it worth trying.

When I did grafting I always saved the cut off tops of cacti - left them laying around for weeks to dry off completely (needs a good scar on the cut) - they always rooted fine.

(and I am not just saying that because I was one of the PM's! :lol: :wink: )

John icon_rambo
phil_in_stockport

Post by phil_in_stockport »

You could cut them into pieces and, provided they weren't so small with such big cut areas that they shrivelled up, they should be fine. Proof in this page about grafting where you'll see parts A and B both come from one pad. The smaller the bits, the smaller the resultant plants, though, I would expect.

If you're struggling to root bits of cactus I can highly recommend Tesco's Premium lightweight cat litter (the one that keeps its structure when wetted). Or Seramis if you can get it.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I get a bit lost with the varieties but was given and Opuntia last summer.
It is quite large with a few branches and long spines in between clusters of smaller ones but kept flopping over in its pot.
I planted it out in my gravel bed and tried to encourage it to grow upright, eventually giving up and leaving it sprawled almost flat out on the gravel.

I now gather that this is the habit of some Opuntias. Having had some rain shelter most of the winter (another story) it still SEEMS to be ok and did not mush after last freeze.
Please does anyone know which is the best hardy Opuntia variety that will grow vertically?

Cheers Cathy.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Some Opuntia phaecantha forms will grow more vertically. The thing that most winterhardy Opuntias grow flat is an adaptation to the (very) cold winters where they usely stay under some snow. Most hardy Opuntias go in a flat position when winter arrives, in spring they go more upright again.

Usely the warmer the climate it comes from the more upright and higher Opuntias grow. In Mexico you get them as big as small trees.

Alexander
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Phil

what an excellent link - that really took me back to my cactus growing days (many of my cristate plants prefered to be grafted).

And demonstrates well the rooting powers of sections of cacti (as long as the wounds are well sealed).

Cheers

John
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Alexander wrote:Some Opuntia phaecantha forms will grow more vertically. The thing that most winterhardy Opuntias grow flat is an adaptation to the (very) cold winters where they usely stay under some snow. Most hardy Opuntias go in a flat position when winter arrives, in spring they go more upright again.

Usely the warmer the climate it comes from the more upright and higher Opuntias grow. In Mexico you get them as big as small trees.

Alexander
Thanks Alexander for a really helpful explanation icon_thumleft
Cathy.

...so mine may pop up more in spring! :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote: Most hardy Opuntias go in a flat position when winter arrives, in spring they go more upright again.

Alexander
That reminds me of something turtile said, when talking about the Opuntia humifusa. It was very cold in March 2007, and he said the Opuntia was still laying on it's side, or something like that. :)

Excellent link Phil icon_thumright

My Opuntia ficus (prickly pear) is still out unprotected and looks ok. It is half under the canopy of the Montezuma pine. The sun shines under there in winter.

The Opuntia ficus is to the right of the pic. The Cylindropuntia (foreground) that is less under the canopy has also been out as is, It looks a bit yellow but hopefully will green up when some warmth returns :wink:
Attachments
310109 pics 003.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright