Mealybug infestation on my Agaves-Help!

MonkeyDavid

Mealybug infestation on my Agaves-Help!

Post by MonkeyDavid »

Been out to the greenhouse today preparing it for winter & as i moved my prized agaves outside i noticed that most of them have a lot of mealybugs-some really bad. They're under the leaves, wedged in the base of the leaves, inside the growing point & packed into where the leaf tips curl into that leathal point (Don't know how i missed them before). Agaves aren't the most friendly of plants to try to clean & anyway, there's just too many of them in impossible places. Has anybody got any suggestions how to get rid of them? Any good chemicals or methods? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want my agaves looking a mess :(
Chalk Brow

Re: Mealybug infestation on my Agaves-Help!

Post by Chalk Brow »

A heavy infestation is a problem. You could try a high pressure water jet to wash the worst of them off. Just touching them with a fine paint brush (artist's brush) dipped in Methylated Spirit turns them pink and kills instantly. Another advantage of Meths is that it does not affect the leaf surface, whereas some insecticide sprays leave permanent marks on the leaves of Agaves.

Someone also mentioned the use of coffee grounds, but I've not tried that.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Yep, Meths is the way to go. But you have to keep at them, the little butters.

I've had loads this year, on my succulents and cacti, must be a good year for them.

Melissa
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

I would just like to say i tried the meths route & so far so good, it got rid of what i could see & has no unsightly effects.
i'll keep a check on them when things warm up but i have high hopes, thanks to this site
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thats good news, David, they can be swine's to get rid of.

Melissa