Yucca too much or too little water?

cordyman

Yucca too much or too little water?

Post by cordyman »

Hey guys,

The smallest stem on my Yukka has droopy leaves and some which went brown. I removed the brown ones and it left quite a moist nodule. Do you think this is a sign of overwatering or do yukkas hold a lot of water in their stems like cactus?

How often is good to water an indoor yukka?

Heres some pics - note how the top is very spiky and straight with some new shoots. The middle is going a *little* floppy, bottom i'm concerned about!

Adam D

Re: Yukka too much or too little water?

Post by Adam D »

Now through to April I would only be watering your Yucca once every 2 weeks.

You have stopped feeding it haven't you?

I think it is getting close to going dormant. Daylight hours are much shorter now than in mid-summer and the light intensity has also dropped.

It should be fine.

Next summer I would suggest putting it outside if you can (although make sure you gradually get it used to full sunshine) and it will thrive.

Sometimes the side shoots can just abort and maybe this is what has happened. Don't worry though, in a few years time the remaining shoots will be so big you will not miss the ones that have disappeared.
themes

Post by themes »

I notice the radiator in the background. :roll: I think we have a contender..
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Its better off outside, because these Yuccas love light and humidity. Mine is outside permanently and it grows brilliantly. Alot of people have trouble growing these, but its basically because they need more light than a house can give them (they should not be sold as houseplants) - they are however to an extent good cold conservatory specimens, because they are hardy.

Below is a picture of mine in the border, I am extremely fortunate to have a Yucca that has developed such a architectural trunk!

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

It lives well away from the radiator. But I was moving it in that pic to a position in the room where it gets 50% more light. It was shielded by a bit of a wall and sofa before and now when I adjust the blinds it gets very bright daylight.

I was worried the smaller stem would rot! :shock:

I've not fed it for a few months.

While i'm at it with the questions do the stems actually grow taller or are they cut before selling and stay at this height?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

also do you think this variety I have would be ok outside next spring? and hardy enough to last through the winter? I don't have a conservatory (as much as i'd love one!)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Your Yucca is a Yucca Elephatipes (I think).

I reckon a big "un" would be hardy to -5C outside (as long as it had been acclimatised to the being outside).

You say that your location is "NW UK". Are you close to coast, like Stephen? Then you may be okay, if you are inland then forget it.

In the right conditions, i.e. not too cold in the winter and lots of light then, IMO, they are lovely architectural plants and will grow pretty quickly.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Yes Yucca elephantipes (with 2 c's not k's) is the correct ID.

Cordyman, yours is in a severe state of low light and poor air circulation.
Truely hardy in zone 10 and if sited well 9b, meaning it will take light, short duration frosts. Different from most other Yucca species, it requires routine water while in the growing season, and some shade from blistering mid-day sun in high heat zones. Massive in native or suitable regions.
I grow mine outside as long as possible and move it to a cool frost free (40°F - 50°F / 5°C - 10°C) area during the worst winter weather. This produces a dense crown of fairly stiff leaves.
Here's a night shot of my Y. elephantipes on our lanai. (dark here now)

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Yucca elephantipes.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Yucca too much or too little water?

Post by Dave Brown »

As Adam and Barrie said, borderline hardy in milder areas. It would be interesting to note if anyone in Cornwall had any damage in the uncharcteristic -7C to -9C they had last winter. Suffers too much damage here exposed, rots the growing points out, so needs protection.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

They are hardy down here on the Costa Del Solent :lol: Infact they are the most commonly seen garden Yucca round these parts. Here's one in the front garden of a messy student house :roll:
Attachments
yucca1.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

That looks fab Nathan!

Wish I could grow stuff like that up here...
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I have one similar to that indoors. I recall it was £3 bargain from somewhere last year. Here is the small boy with it;

Like yours its been parked next to a radiator in a corner. I water it at best once a month :shock: and that's if i remember. Its a picture of health so i would back off the watering.

If in doubt i would use a moisture meter.
This type of thing which can be bought for a few quid on ebay.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOISTURE-METER- ... B000U300RA
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Musa those top leaves where its flopped is how my bottom ones started.

I'm near manchester so it looks like moving it outside is out of the question?

My longterm tropical goal is to get hardy plants which won't die throughout the winter!

My other problem is i've had loads of different houseplants in the living room and I just love how good the yucca looks!

Based on the pot size its in and height how much every 2 weeks would be good to water? a pint?

I bought one of those tenax water moisture checkers as can be seen in top pic and its absolutely useless (after 2 hours of watering the meter goes bone dry again!)

I'll try and have the window open more for air circulation and i'll mist it if that helps.
Last edited by cordyman on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Adam D wrote:Your Yucca is a Yucca Elephatipes (I think).

I reckon a big "un" would be hardy to -5C outside (as long as it had been acclimatised to the being outside).

You say that your location is "NW UK". Are you close to coast, like Stephen? Then you may be okay, if you are inland then forget it.

In the right conditions, i.e. not too cold in the winter and lots of light then, IMO, they are lovely architectural plants and will grow pretty quickly.
I'm on the coast and I've had this plant since it was tiny - before the time when Yucca were sold as twin stems. (approximately 6 years ago). I think they are less hardy if they are planted in clay or any other wet soil. Mine is planted in sandy soil (65% sand, to 35% soil) and this greatly improves drainage, which generally improves the chance of survival in cold spells. Mine hasn't seen below -6C but of course inland except in area like Nottingham which seem to have a freak microclimate, it may snuff in the frostiest weather
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I bought one from Coletta & Tyson early this year. It was in an outside covered area. A couple of weeks later we got -4 one night, and this did quite a bit of leaf damage.

I suppose it will have to be dug up and put in the greenhouse in a few weeks.