Yuccas outside

dyls

Yuccas outside

Post by dyls »

It's obviously a bit late to ask this now but I'm gonna ask anyway :-)

During the summer, I decided I'd like a yucca in front of my house. The only ones at B&Q are sold as houseplants "minimum temperature 10C" (Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I thought, as I planted it outside). It was just labeled as "Varigated yucca", and nothing really more descriptive than that.

What kind of yucca is it likely to be? And how hardy? The front of my house rarely stays frozen for long if there is a frost - cold weather here always means clear skies, the sun will get to it before mid day.

Are there any tricks to getting yuccas to flower? I always like the big flower spikes on the ones you see in Spain, but although there are one or two yuccas I've spotted around here, I've never seen one flowering.
Nigel Fear

Re: Yuccas outside

Post by Nigel Fear »

Is it anything like mine Dyls?

Yucca Elephantipes Jewel, [sometimes called Y.Elegans jewel].
The leaves aren't sharp, and are more plyable than most Yucca's.

I've had it about 4yrs outside no problem.
Attachments
garden 047.JPG
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

It has never flowered yet though, so can't help you with that part of the question.
dyls

Post by dyls »

Yeah, pliable leaves that bend under their own weight - although the varegation is sort of inverse of what you have (wide green, narrow pale stripes rather than wide pale, narrow green).

Well, it's good to know I was right to giggle at the "10 celcius minimum" thing on the label :-)
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

They'll be fine on the I.O.M - you should have a few of them in various hotels around the island actually!

If mine has survived then it'll survive with you given my climate is alot colder than yours :)
manxmann

Post by manxmann »

Im sure its a yucca of some sort infront of a house in Mill Street, Castletown Dyls. With white flowers in the summer.
telipogon

Post by telipogon »

If it's a variegated form of Y. elephantipes, it's going to need some protection outside, it probably won't be hardy.
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

i've got a 3ft y.elephantipes "jewel" in a pot, that has been at ambient temp for years in an outside covered area at a nursery, so dry in winter. it's fine. the label says -3 but it's been beyond that. some are harder than others. if you get one that has been in the indoor plant section of a shop for years and bung it outside it will probably not like you.

a yucca recurvifolia would be a better bet or if it has to be varigated a y.gloriosa, both of which are readily available from GC's quite tough and flower easily.
Edo

Post by Edo »

I have one really big Yucca outside-i think its Gloriosa.
If you can get this one, i think that you will be satisfied with it.

Anyways, plant can´t read labels tags;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The main difference between Yucca elephantipes and gloriosa is human contact. You can plant Y.elephantipes next to a path with no problem. Planting Y gloriosa next to a path will see the path not used after a while :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

I took this in West Kirby, tis a bit wind ravaged, but leaning over the pavement like that, I'd rather keep my eyeballs :lol:
Attachments
P180509_14.180001.JPG
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The most reliable flowerer is Yucca filamentosa/flaccida. They do produce flowers every summer. And should be fine in colder climates.

Alexander
manxmann

Post by manxmann »

Theres also one on Ballanard road, Douglas, IOM near the roundabout. White flowers.