Restio's

metalhammer

Restio's

Post by metalhammer »

Is anybody growing Restio's?.I had quite a few a couple of years back,they were just beginning to do quite well,then we had the winter of 2008/9.I just wondered if anybody had faired better than I did.

I would like to get a couple of the bigger growing varieties to try again,Rhodocoma gigantea is one,I had got mine to about 1.25 metres high of it's potential 2-3 metres,was beginning to look like a fluffy bamboo.Some of them are so tactile,I defy anybody to walk by without running there hands up the stem.

metalhammer.
Nick

Re: Restio's

Post by Nick »

MH I had about 15 of them in three different varieties and last winter killed them all stone dead, one more thing I will not bother with again :( :(
again my ones come from ET, but last winter did a lot of damage, lucky for me they were not dear plants and only got them as gap fillers, but it did not work out how I hoped it would.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Check out this restio from www.big-grass.com

Cannomois virgata - a restio with attitude.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

crikey :ahhh!: one clump of that = half our garden :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Some have done better than expected some have gone a crispy brown some are unscathed
this happened last year to so not too worried right now. They were young plants but had good roots
I mulched around them and there are small signs of new life I think
I shall not give up on them cos I think they are still an undiscovered and under rated plant

but I don't think they will ever get as big as the photo
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Doesn't have the issue of running like a bamboo,but,they are relatively specific in soil requirements,bit like many of the Cape natives,can't stand any phosphate on there roots.Need an acid soil which is realtively low in nutrients.There are specific Protea fertlisers available which you could use on restio's,although I found they seemed to be ok using fish emulsion fertiliser.

Definitely going to try with a few of the bigger growing ones again.

metalhammer.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

This is the ones I'm looking at getting to try with again,

Elegia capensis
Restio quadratus
Rhodocoma capensis
Rhodocoma gigantea

and for sheer tactileness(is there such a word?,if not,I've just invented it)
Baloskion tetraphyllum

metalhammer.
Nick

Post by Nick »

If that was to grow here you would need to move or have a garden half the size of Wiltshire, I don't think I would go with these charming little plants after the last time, if there was a hardy one I would re think about it and possibly give it a go again, but only if it was hardy.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Well sorted out the restios I'll try again with,

Elegia capensis
restio quadratus
Rhodocoma capensis
Rhodocoma gigantea
Baloskion tetraphyllum

Also want Cannomois virgata,but the supplier thinks they've lost the lot over winter,shame,really architectural plant.

metalhammer.
marie06

Post by marie06 »

MH - What fish emulsion do you use, and where do you get it from?
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

From www.gardendirect.co.uk

metalhammer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm growing Elegia capensis which I grew from seed about five years ago. It's steadily growing into a nice little clump. I hope it's still there, I haven't checked on it for a few months. Last Winter it came through without any problems though. Will check on it tomorrow and report back.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Try getting hold of a plant of Baloskion tetraphyllum & I defy you to walk by it with out running your hands over the foliage - so tactile.

metalhammer.
marie06

Post by marie06 »

Thanks MH
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I've never grown them and am not 100% sure how I feel about them.
I think they can look interesting when a decent size, but really need to have some space around them so you can appreciate their form. As I have a garden little bigger than a postage stamp they aren't really viable here.
I think Melissa and Keith have some impressive looking ones from memory.
People seem to love or hate them and I know of a few people on the forums who have a number of species - it seems like if you like them you have a compulsion to collect loads of them.