Restio's

metalhammer

Re: Restio's

Post by metalhammer »

The foliage is a good contrast to more spikey or big-leafed plants.I just like the form,but have no desire to collect them.Some of the smaller ones do little for me.The big ones are quite architectural & I think they'll associate well with bamboos.

Seeds are available from www.silverhillseeds.co.za/

They also do the smoke primer discs.

metalhammer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

The Malvern Spring Gardening show was the first time I ever seen Restio in the flesh. They had a stand in the big marquee and were grown in huge pots. I'd not seen anything like them before and decided there and then to give them a go and bought a few different sorts of seeds. Most of them never germnated but I was left with one or two - the second died shortly afterwards.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Very tactile MH.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nick

Post by Nick »

So Dicas did your little one survive, remember you were going to report back
:?: :?: :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Nick it looks very singed on top, but the lower growth is fine, so hopefully it looks like I've got away with it.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Chris Osborne at Church Town Nurseries Gulval is doing his bit to get them better known.

His show plants are beguiling in the extreme. But I have yet to see them look good for more than one season in a garden setting. I think they need constant preening to stay in best aesthetic form. I'm too lazy for that.

That said; the new growth on Neal Armstrong's Cannomois virgata at Tremenheere almost made me change my mind. Then it flowered and looked awful. He tried to tidy it up by setting fire to it [apparently that is the right thing to do], and then it looked burnt and awful for a whole year!

Chad.