Work on Arid Bed

Chalk Brow

Re: Work on Arid Bed

Post by Chalk Brow »

Fine cactus Dave, but Ferocactus rectispinus pilosus is not a valid name, there is no such cactus.

Ferocactus rectispinus is corectly F emoryi, a variable cactus depending on the region of orgigin. Your cactus could be Ferocactus emoryi ssp. rectispinus, but I doubt it.

I suspect your cactus is F pilosus (syn F pilosus var stainesii, F pilosus, F stainesii, F pilosus var pilosus)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'll have to take your word for it Grenville. I was told the name by Steve Jacobs who sold it to me. He said it had taken -7C completely dry.

I have removed as much of the peat compost as I can get off, and don't water from October when dug out, until April. This seems to work ok. It was overwintered in the frost free poly. :wink: It had 3 flowers last year and many more bud this year. The main problem is the flowers are not exotic like many Cacti.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Great work Dave. pity about 'Santa Rita', but thanks for flagging it up.
I though it was tougher than that - no chance of me even considering it here in the 'wet north west' :roll:
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

How is your arid bed looking at the moment dave?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It's looking good, but I have not finished the wooden raised bit I was hoping to before writing an update.

I have taken loads of pics over the summer, but will I ever get time to write it up icon_scratch Too busy watering the non arid bits while it won't rain :roll:

Here a re a couple of pics
Attachments
20100710 Arid bed.jpg
20100710 Aloe 01.jpg
20100710 Chamaerops view.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Essex Ross »

Dave Brown wrote:It's looking good, but I have not finished the wooden raised bit I was hoping to before writing an update.

I have taken loads of pics over the summer, but will I ever get time to write it up icon_scratch Too busy watering the non arid bits while it won't rain :roll:

Here a re a couple of pics
I think it looks lovely icon_thumright

Don't forget to write it up, that would be greatly appreciated, also we're still waiting for you to do those long promised articles in the Exotics part of the website (i.e. the article about the parlour palm in the "palms" section).

Keep up the good work though Dave, I understand that your busy :wink:
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Dave Brown wrote: Ferocactus rectispinus pilosus
20100604 Arid bed 01.jpg
[/attachment]
Sorry to be pedantic, but Ferocactus rectispinus pilosus does not exist, it is not a valid name, there is no such plant!

Ferocactus rectispinus is a synonym of Ferocactus emoryii ssp rectispinus; but you plant is not this. It is a quite different:

here is my small plant of Ferocactus emoryii ssp rectispinus, notice it has hooked spines.

Ferocatus pilosus (synonyms include Echinocactus pilousus, Ferocactus stainesii, Ferocactus piliferus, Ferocactus pringlei) is the correct and valid name for your cactus

Here is a Ferocactus pilosus which I recently sold, the plant alone weighed over 35kg.

If anyone is wishing to obtain a plant like yours, they will need to have the correct name.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

How is the Arid bed looking now Dave?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is mostly not planted yet as I dig most of them out to overwinter. The biggest change is that my big Agave americana is looking very sick and may be on it's last legs. It have thrown up several pups but looks a mess :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright