Agave id request, if you can help!

RogerBacardy

Agave id request, if you can help!

Post by RogerBacardy »

Asked this on European Palm Society and Paul Spracklin generously took the time to say :
"It is definitely NOT any form of salmiana, ferox or otherwise. I'm fairly sure it isn't any form of americana. It might be a form of parryi/havardiana but those slanted back teeth are not usually seen in that group . More likely a less toothy form of potatorum. But hard to say with any certainty."

Since then it seems to have grown at a fairly decent pace and has created a few pups, but I've no idea how large it will get, nor if it is hardy. I'm suspecting it might be quite a small agave due to it pupping already.

Anyway, here is a more recent pic:
Essex Ross

Re: Agave id request, if you can help!

Post by Essex Ross »

oh Roger, its beautiful. You don't happen to have any spare pups do you? (nudge nudge, wink wink). :wink:
smurnan

Post by smurnan »

Was it grown from seed by you or did you get it as a small plant rog?
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I got it as a small plant, inherited it with the house almost 3 years ago,I think the label just said 'agave'!

It was on a windowsill, in a very small plastic pot, which was so dry that the agave was on death's door.

All the leaves were brown /crispy and flat, so I put a saucer underneath and watered it, which it responded to by the leaves plumping out, and then I largely forgot about it for a year, save for the occasional watering.

It started to grow so I moved it into the larger pot you see in the first picture. I think that last year I kept the pot outside in the Winter, although I might have moved it under cover for the snow.

So I suspect it's hardy and quite a small agave, therefore manageable!

Yeah, I'll probably separate the pups when they get a bit bigger. I
paul h

Post by paul h »

Hi Roger
The only agaves I can think of with teeth like that are Colorata odd ones,Scabra Maderensis and Scabra Zarcensis tbh think the second is the most likely as its very blue agave and not over large and the last one tends to be much larger although with much thicker leaves.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Thanks, Paul. : icon_salut icon_thumleft
Not even heard of those agaves before!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Paul, I must admit I looked at the Agaves I got from you, and the closest I could see was the scabra :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by paul h »

Hi Dave thnks for that very glad the agave is still doing okay tbh very underestimated for hardyness although still trying to find out how hardy the subspecie are............ :?