Is it to late to Planting out cactus and succulents

mattvg

Is it to late to Planting out cactus and succulents

Post by mattvg »

My :?: is it to late to plant out these plants and when's the best time to plant them out agave americana I got it from the palm farm the 7.5 L one A.stricta is about 30cm wide and in a 3 L pot a.montana 2 L and its about 15cm wide and an aloe aristata (i think,it looks like one anyway :lol: ) . do you think they will have enough time to establish or should i wait until next spring :?: .and I was also going to put a rain shelter over them

p.s Sorry if I have put this question in the wrong place
Essex Ross

Re: Is it to late to Planting out cactus and succulents

Post by Essex Ross »

I would wait until next spring for certain. When you do plant them out wait until all chance of frost has passed and make a raised bed for them if your soil isn't very free draining. All succulents benefit from a low-nitrogen feed, so consider mixing in some bone-meal into the planting holes when you plant them out. Also a rain shelter for Autumn and Winter would be beneficial.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I will be starting to dig out my non hardy ones in about 6 weeks time. This will give them a couple of weeks to settle into pots before going into tickover for the winter.

Planting out now will not give them any establish time. I would leave in pots and move to appropriate shelter when necessary. April/May is the time to plant after the last frosts :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by smurnan »

Totally agree with Ross and Dave. Leave them in their pots overwinter and plant out in late spring earliest.
mattvg

Post by mattvg »

Thank you for the reply's icon_salut . I will keep them in there pots and over winter them somewhere nice and dry and plant them out after the last frost. Essex Ross thanks for the bone meal tip :wink: i will have to invest in some next year
spotty

Post by spotty »

smurnan wrote:Totally agree with Ross and Dave. Leave them in their pots overwinter and plant out in late spring earliest.
Would you start a rock garden now or wait until spring next year ?
Some say, it´s better to let the soil to settle, sort of freeze a bit over the winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Spotty, and welcome icon_salut

I think it depends on your soil. Mine here is so heavy it is unworkable now until spring, and any compaction over winter would require re digging in spring to get the air back in.

If your soil is very sandy or gravelly it might be ok now, but I would not put any plants out now :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by spotty »

Thanks Dave.

Recently, I have read that most of common house-leeks should be planted no later than the end of October.
According to the story, these plants bloom early in the springs, by March.
If you do not plant them now, you won´t see them bloom next year.
I wonder, whether you have any experience with it.