Alocasia Calidora pups

leewatson1980

Alocasia Calidora pups

Post by leewatson1980 »

Hello

I brought a Alocasia Colidora before christmas and noticed it had a few pups "i think they are pups" and was wonder what the best corse of action to seporate them and when?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
The Codfather

Re: Alocasia Calidora pups

Post by The Codfather »

Not sure but I want it......it looks super healthy.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

leewatson1980 wrote:Hello

I brought a Alocasia Colidora before christmas and noticed it had a few pups "i think they are pups" and was wonder what the best corse of action to seporate them and when?

Thanks in advance.
i recognise that plant label, was it off ebay? tropical express?
kata

Post by kata »

Not sure but I want it.
Don't we all :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It's very small to have pups icon_scratch I guess it must be a TC plant. These sometimes pup at a young age. :wink:

Normally Alocasia pups sprout from the the rhizome/trunk and take a long time to produce their own roots. The other way is small stolens (bulbils) are produced and can be planted.

I would not try separating by pulling apart, or by cutting down with a knife as I have tried both methods before and just ened up with a bunch of leaves :roll:

I would wait until it is growing well (during spring) then carefully wash the compost off to see what is going on down there. If TC it may have multiple stems with rhizome and root. In which case carefully cut the rhizome to detach them ensuring they all have some roots :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

That Tropical Express stuff is T.C'd just up the road from me, I did go and see them about supplying us as a forum a couple of years ago but they weren't interested :evil: . Ball Colegrave is the firm and they cost about 42p each if my memory serves icon_thumright
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

Yes Aaron, it was from ebay and it is from tropical express like Grub said, it was £7.98 with PP.

Thats great Dave, I'll just leave it for now then, I might tackle it when its got a bit of size to it.