Alocasia x calidora Outing April 2011

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia x calidora Outing April 2011

Post by Dave Brown »

Well I'm experimenting with mine now :ahhh!: it has been out over the last 5 days and we have had some pretty chilly nights. down to 4.4C this morning with a visible ground frost :ahhh!: :ahhh!: The leaves are pretty tough, but if they are grown inside do not seem to be able to acclimatise to sun later. If they grown outside in shade they seem better able to acclimatise, and if they grown in full sun have no problem at all if later taken in shade and then back out into sun the next year. I have got some scorch on leaves after last weeks wall to wall sunshine. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by leewatson1980 »

Cheers Dave, I think I'll put 2 in the shade and one in full sun and see how they get on.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

have you just bought your's lee...and if so where from.....its becoming mission impossible
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Dave, your Alocasia just screams "Sri Lanka"

Sure, CIDPs remind me of Spain, agaves - Mexico, trachies - China, etc... but your Alocasia is probably the plant most evocative of another climate that I've seen on this forum. A few of those dotted around the garden and you'd half expect to encounter a python, monkeys or an elephant in a clearing around the corner.

Well done on your success with it, you're obviously doing something very right! :D
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

it reminds me of ko chang in thailand, very tropical asia. if i can get mine this big, couple it with my basjoos and trackys, I should achieve my goal.

I got it from ebay around christmas time Coddy, I think it was from easytropicals, send them a message and see if they have any in stock. icon_thumleft

Lee
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !