Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Amberforce

Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Post by Amberforce »

Hello Everyone

I'm new to these forums as I have only just become interested in Aroids. I have trawled the net for hours trying to find an outlet in the UK that sells the Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant Strain. Many sites have them on offer in the US but no-one wants to ship them here. Maybe there are some agricultural restrictions in place?

Can anyone help me in my quest to purchase one of these plants? I have heard of stories about it being tough to grow here but, to be honest, it makes me more want to try.

Thanks for your help

Andrew
grub

Re: Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant Strain

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Andrew, Scott may be able to point you in the right direction when he looks in icon_thumright .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Andrew, and welcome icon_salut

There are a few places that have them from time to time, but it seems to be a pre-order plant as just as soon as they have them they go again. Amulree has some very early in the season.

I'm not aware of people having problems with this Colocasia, but Borneo Giant and Robusta are non starters here.

I think Scott gets some Aroids directly from the US, but most won't insure them and on a non return basis, so if Defra delay them for a month they may be very expensive dead plants.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Scott Radford »

Hi there all and welcome Andrew

Thanks for pointing him in my direction

Dave is rioght I did get some colocasias direct from the USA including thai giant. Sadly though I had a crappy experience with UK Plant health and customs and excise giving me conflicting information. I prenotified them when I was told after it wasn't necessary. Then my shipment was held for 10 days before getting to me, I couldn't even find out (it was the US nursery who did) where they'd even gone to once they arrived here.

All this meant 3 including the thai, the normal gigantea and the superb coal miner didn't make it. So that for me was a once only as the nursery (plant delights) won't ship them unofficially to me. Then I got another shipment from South Africa - two plants costing £35 each yet I was charged import duty of £105 - or £70 of plants - a complete pisstaking ripoff!!! So I was completely ripped of by uk customs, hence I'm never going through official channels again - I told them that in an email. I'm sticking with two guys - one in south africa and one in Borneo. They get plants to me just perfectly within 7 days of sending them. They are properly prepared bare rooted as nobody wants their prize collections wiped out by nasty crappe. No soil comes so I have no contamination worries at all and i get plants I could never obtain from a US nursery or anywhere in Europe as a result
Amberforce

Post by Amberforce »

Sorry to hear about your experience with customs Scott. Glad to know that you have a couple of reliable sources anyway. Does this mean that I can purchase the Thai Giant from you? If you could let me know that would be great!!
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Amberforce wrote:Sorry to hear about your experience with customs Scott. Glad to know that you have a couple of reliable sources anyway. Does this mean that I can purchase the Thai Giant from you? If you could let me know that would be great!!
Sorry the only big one I have is mammoth right now, thai giant from the USA was the one and only I'd been able to obtain and it couldn't take the farciacal customs hold-up hence I am still seeking this one for my collection too :-(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The one that Kentgardener had was very reluctant to pup, so they will not be quick to be spread around. I'd be wary of buying one off ebay if the name appears, unless you know the seller is trustworthy.

The problem is that DEFRA has caused so many problems with delays of plants from the states, no-one will now sell to the UK. Larger palms will survive a week or two in the dark and recover, but small plug plants which most Colocasia are. are just not big enough to handle DEFRA's attempts to destroy our hobby. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by CW01 »

I'm after one to Andrew if you can wait then Simon at Amulree told me he should have some next spring icon_thumleft
harryc

Post by harryc »

I bought a couple of gigantea last month from the French Ebay site, not sure if they are the Thai strain but the seller claimed to have collected them thereself during travelling over Asia.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4395wt_992

HTH

Harry
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The pic does not look like the Thai strain. Interesting location name.... now how do you pronounce that :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

Here's one http://cgi.ebay.de/Colocasia-gigantea-T ... 1e64dcc323
But you gotta ask if they could ship it outside Germany.
Amberforce

Post by Amberforce »

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I just tried on the link above and it appears to say that they only ship within Germany. I have asked the question anyway - just hope they understand English!! Will let you know what they say.
Until then i'll keep looking for one but it's like seeking the Holy Grail at the moment,lol. :?
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Amberforce wrote:Thanks for all your comments everyone. I just tried on the link above and it appears to say that they only ship within Germany. I have asked the question anyway - just hope they understand English!! Will let you know what they say.
Until then i'll keep looking for one but it's like seeking the Holy Grail at the moment,lol. :?
I've asked one of my fellow plant friends on facebook to ask the question for me as he's in Austria
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

They do speak English.
I might be going back to Germany in few weeks time and buy it for you and myself. If not, I could buy it and my mate would bring it to me from Krautsland. I'll give him a bell and ask when he's gonna visit Poland again.
I still believe they'll send it to you.
BTW what colocasia this may be?:
Attachments
08072011054.jpg
Amberforce

Post by Amberforce »

Well that's very kind of you.

Just joined this site at the beginning of the week and I can't believe how helpful and knowledgeable you all are.

Many thanks