Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

miketropic

Re: Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Post by miketropic »

Alexander wrote:
miketropic wrote:Ive only messed with the thai giant..plant delights has some form of gigante they sell but I have never seen one in person but from all i have read and pics I have seen they look similar to mammoth in leaf structure and the way they are held..thai giant looks like no other colocasia
My Colocasia gigantea Thai Giant comes from Plant delight nursery. I have visited that nursery last May. Very nice place!

Alexander
Ive never been but they do have alot of good stuff..at insanely high prices.

As for the Thai I assure you coddy you have what we are all growing. I have noticed since they are grown from seed they vary greatly. Mine seems to hold a more glossy leaf with a bit of blue and the leaf never gets fully flat. My friend has one and it get very very flat leaves with a matter finish to it and his pupped twice also while mine did not.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

miketropic wrote:
Alexander wrote:
miketropic wrote:Ive only messed with the thai giant..plant delights has some form of gigante they sell but I have never seen one in person but from all i have read and pics I have seen they look similar to mammoth in leaf structure and the way they are held..thai giant looks like no other colocasia
My Colocasia gigantea Thai Giant comes from Plant delight nursery. I have visited that nursery last May. Very nice place!

Alexander
Ive never been but they do have alot of good stuff..at insanely high prices.

As for the Thai I assure you coddy you have what we are all growing. I have noticed since they are grown from seed they vary greatly. Mine seems to hold a more glossy leaf with a bit of blue and the leaf never gets fully flat. My friend has one and it get very very flat leaves with a matter finish to it and his pupped twice also while mine did not.
Plant Delight Nursery gets the seeds from Thailand then? Maybe I should go to that area one day myself then.
Well mine I have actually planted in our tropical butterflygarden here in town. There it can grow into its full tropical size! Its was arround 16 Dollars I paid for it. Well prizes must drop in the futur if those sort of plants get more availble.

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Alexander wrote:Plant Delight Nursery gets the seeds from Thailand then? Maybe I should go to that area one day myself then.
Well mine I have actually planted in our tropical butterflygarden here in town. There it can grow into its full tropical size! Its was arround 16 Dollars I paid for it. Well prizes must drop in the futur if those sort of plants get more availble.

Alexander
When I was talking about them comming from seed I wasn't speaking of PD..I have no idea where they get theres. I would say tissue culture from agri starts or AG3. The ones that come from Brians are from seed and vary widely in there appearance and habit. I know they are a new thing over in the UK but you can get them easily from many places in the US any time of year.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

miketropic wrote:Plant Delight Nursery gets the seeds from Thailand then? Maybe I should go to that area one day myself then.

Alexander
Alexander wrote: When I was talking about them comming from seed I wasn't speaking of PD..I have no idea where they get theres. I would say tissue culture from agri starts or AG3. The ones that come from Brians are from seed and vary widely in there appearance and habit. I know they are a new thing over in the UK but you can get them easily from many places in the US any time of year.
Well if they are grown from tissue culture its bassically one clone. From seeds you always get some genetic variation. Well the thing with that Plant Delight Nursery is that I had mad a gentleman from the EPS forum whom is working there and with whom I went to the Green Swamp in Norh Carolina.
The Green Swamp is an area you can see several carnivorous plants in habitat. Well then I heard they had a couple of days later an open day at Plant Delight Nursery. It seems they have 4 open days a year. Well as I had hoped to visit that nursery and get some special plants we went there. They have a very nice collection of plants there. And well they are expensive but those plants I had bought are not availble here. For example Crinum ''Super Ellen'' is not grown here as far as I know. And I got a pot with 18 young ones for 16 dollars. So I am growing those now in my polytunnel and one day they will find new homes. A new plant for European gardens.
I have seen that you folks overthere in America have lots of nice plants not found in Europe. Those new Crinum cultivars are a good example.

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Another update on one of mine.

The latest leaf, which is not full grown yet, as is still floppy, is 73cm (28.7") x 59cm (23.2")
Attachments
2013-07-28 14-13-38 Colocasia gigantea Thai Giant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Somerset77 »

Just noticed my Thai giant is starting to pup now icon_cheers

Also slightly off topic but my Portadora is pupping too! Double icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine is starting its second set of flowers :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:mine is starting its second set of flowers :(
Mine has as well, Mike, but no pups.

I think I might have reached the limit of leaf size in a pot, as the last 3 are all similar size.

Largest leaf 77cm x 60cm
2013-08-21 07-53-52 Thai Giant 01.jpg
Largest leaf 81cm x 69cm
2013-08-21 07-54-20 Thai Giant 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

all of Brians are seed grown and the diversity in leaf shape, size and color is amazeing.. yours looks nothing like mine or a friends yet all the same things..I would say plant out and dig up Dave, thats the only way i get them big over here. mine has put out 2 "monstrose" type leaves since the flowers started
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:I would say plant out and dig up Dave, thats the only way i get them big over here. mine has put out 2 "monstrose" type leaves since the flowers started
It's a bit late this year Mike, but I'll see how we go next year.

Pics of mine today.
2013-08-30 10-27-06 Colocasia Thai Giant.jpg
and to give a size context, although not huge....
Attachments
2013-08-30 10-26-54 Trunky west border view.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Dave,

Those Colocasias look very good there in Kent. Probably the warm summer has given them that extra boost.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:Dave,

Those Colocasias look very good there in Kent. Probably the warm summer has given them that extra boost.

Alexander
Yes, most probably. I was talking to the guys 'n' gals over on the Alocasia/Colocasia group on facebook, and some of them in the US have the same problem growing Thai's that plagues many of us. Having spoken to many people on this, Thai Giant seems to think it is an Alocasia rather than a Colocasia. This means it likes to dry out slightly between waterings, and like to be dry fairly quickly if (when) it cools off.

My growing in pots, and small pots compared to the size of the plant, and mixing a fair amount of perlite in the mix, allows it to dry quickly. This is different to how most Colocasia grow in the summer, being happy sat in a tray of water.

Picture of the size of pot the largest Giant is currently in :wink:
Attachments
2013-08-28 09-36-06 Thai Giant small pot.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

In the wild those Colocasia gigantea seem to grow on the base of limestonecliffs. So a more free draining habitat then for example C. esculenta wich grows usely at wet places.

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I put this in my blog but it should go here as well..went on a bit of a feild trip with Brian the other day to see the largest Thai I have ever seen.. leaves at least 6 ft long and still 12 flowers on it.