Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Panama Pete

Re: Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant Strain

Post by Panama Pete »

Hi all

Didnt want to start a new post as found this.
Can I acheive good growth in a pot. ?

Any tips
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you can but it should be a very large pot and these things feed HEAVY give them lot and lots of fert and water only once dried out. I seem to get better results in dapply shade than full sun as well but my sun is much hotter than yours so you might be able to get by with it.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

jimhardy wrote:The new leaf is already bigger and still growing icon_thumleft

By the way.....

Check out the one in this video....I will resist the temptation to
comment on this guy!:lol:

Now this one is a TRUE giant-if mine ever gets that big...

I will give tours and charge admission!

Thats a Xanthosoma by the way. Probably X. saggitifolium from Tropical America. But a very nice one! Well we get big ones here as well. And also plenty X. violaceum in the tropical butterflyjungle here in town.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And I have the real Colocasia gigantea Giant Thailand strain now here. I have bought one a week ago at Plant Delight Nursery in Raleigh. Its a kind of candystore there but not cheap. So I got only several rear plants there wich are not available here in Europe.
Its was May 10 I went there. And it was allready pretty hot and humid there, arround 28 to 30 C. Well summer was only just starting there! Perfect summers for growing tropical stuff. And plants like Hippeastrum grow there in gardens like daffodils back home. They where in flower also. Amazing what they can grow there!

Well the Colocasia will go in our tropical jungle here where its alaways warm! No way I will risk such a rare plant outside here in our frigid northern climate!

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Made it to the states huh? Glad you enjoyed your experience and your right it is already very hot here... I have 26.6c at 11 am and its gunna be warm today..humidity is at 75% so its the right climate for tropicals. you hit the nail on the head when you said PD was expensive..I don't order from them unless absolutely have to due to there prices. alot of those things can be sources else where for cheaper. good luck with your thai.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander, the Xanthosoma doesn't have the blue hue on the petioles, does it ?

Here is my biggest Thai Giant today. The smaller one is flowering.
Attachments
2013-05-19-14-41-58 Colocasia Thai Giant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by CW01 »

Do you intend to plant out Dave or pot on?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there are a few more thai hybrids in the works so get a good growing strategy down Dave so you can make some monsters
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

CW01 wrote:Do you intend to plant out Dave or pot on?
My gut feeling to to pot on, as I'll treat more like an Alocasia. Soil temps struggle to get above 20C here and are languishing at 12C at the moment. I can't see it getting much growth at those temps, but a black pot in the sun can easily get to 25/30C. Placed on the west side of the garden it will get early morning sun, to warm it quickly and be in sun until about 3pm :wink:

Mike, I have a couple of Noble Gigante on order from Amulree :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

there is the dragon heart gigante out now and the victorious giant as well. when I stopped by the other day there are at least 3 other new ones in trials and I think one will be out in a few weeks. don't want to ruin the suprise but there is def going to be another released this year.. also that alocasia I posted pics of last year that was code name "top secret" it is comming soon and one years growth from it give it a trunk. very impressive. Brian is having a big leaf contest you might see if you can join Dave I'm sure we can trust a pic from your garden with a quality measurement.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

miketropic wrote:Made it to the states huh? Glad you enjoyed your experience and your right it is already very hot here... I have 26.6c at 11 am and its gunna be warm today..humidity is at 75% so its the right climate for tropicals. you hit the nail on the head when you said PD was expensive..I don't order from them unless absolutely have to due to there prices. alot of those things can be sources else where for cheaper. good luck with your thai.
Yes I did. And travelled there the last 6 weeks. I did see a lot of Sarracenia and other cp,s. Well about Plant Delight, their prices are indeed very high. So got only a few plants.

Well here those tropicals are only good for under glass yearround. Here at the moment not warmer then 12 C outside, I hate it! I would like to have those steamy hot summers instead of this cold wet missery...

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:Alexander, the Xanthosoma doesn't have the blue hue on the petioles, does it ?

Dave,

We have the blueish Xanthosoma violaceum and the normal X. sagitifolium.

You have placed your Thai Giant outside with all that cold weather??? It comes from a tropical climate!
Mine is above the central heating, I rather keep it warm here!

Alexander
Alexander

Re: Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Post by Alexander »

The Codfather wrote:Wow.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVP9ob5 ... re=related
Thats a good video! Well that plants need a long tropical summer to grow well I guess.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Alexander, the Xanthosoma doesn't have the blue hue on the petioles, does it ?

Dave,

You have placed your Thai Giant outside with all that cold weather??? It comes from a tropical climate!

Alexander
My Xanthosoma violaceum have purple petioles with a blueish dusting, not green with a blueish dusting, so is nothing like mine.

Don't worry, it was placed outside for the warm afternoon (19C) to get some air, but went back into the Lunar Module before it cooled off. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Dave,

Alexander
My Xanthosoma violaceum have purple petioles with a blueish dusting, not green with a blueish dusting, so is nothing like mine.

Don't worry, it was placed outside for the warm afternoon (19C) to get some air, but went back into the Lunar Module before it cooled off. :wink:
The Xanthosoma violaceum here are also blueish due to the waxlayer and with a dark purple color underneath.

Alexander