Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

miketropic

Re: Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'

Post by miketropic »

your right new leaves are happy plants. I think I'm going to get a couple more of these and plant them on the hillside down by the water and see how large they get next spring
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:your right new leaves are happy plants. I think I'm going to get a couple more of these and plant them on the hillside down by the water and see how large they get next spring
Just be careful with Thai Giant and water. These like to dry a little between watering, unlike most Colocasia which are happy sitting in water :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I mixed up a batch of soil right before it got cold about 60% perlite and 40% light compost. the water runs right through it and I put everything that went in the basement in this same mix. the only problem I am having is with the small colocasia I think they dry out so fast that the spider mites are in a paradise I just can't seem to get rid of them at all. Im afriad if I put them in a heavier mix they will rot. the thai is in a differant area and dosen't seem effected by the mites at all.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

:shock: THE REST WE ARE GOING TO THROW ON THE COMPOST!!! wtf!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I know.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

also can't believe they grow so fast to fill the pot so much each and every year from one division
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:also can't believe they grow so fast to fill the pot so much each and every year from one division
It's amazing what 100F for 3 months can do :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

Dave Brown wrote:
Mr List wrote:also can't believe they grow so fast to fill the pot so much each and every year from one division
It's amazing what 100F for 3 months can do :wink:

very very true. I would say early may it starts gettin into the upper 80's and by june you hit 100 on a regular basis. last july we had a heat wave in the 105+ for a couple of weeks. everything really explodes as long as you can keep the water to it. If we just had a milder winter we could really do somthing in my area with tropicals.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Many of us would only manage one of those pups in the course of a summer here :ahhh!:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have one large thai and another small one. I plan on getting 2 or 3 more in the spring and putting them in my woodland area to see how they far. more shade there but it seems to keep a more even temp, instead of 105 by day 70 by night, and see how they do
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

I did a search on overwintering this plant and was amazed to read a couple of posts suggesting firstly that these should never dry out and more amazingly they should be stored overwinter in water.yes water and this should be changed every day until it stops smelling.I have a few pups on mine so am chancing one to see what happens.I suppose if this is dud advice the worst that can happen is the pup will lose it's roots.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

nicebutdim wrote:I did a search on overwintering this plant and was amazed to read a couple of posts suggesting firstly that these should never dry out and more amazingly they should be stored overwinter in water.yes water and this should be changed every day until it stops smelling.I have a few pups on mine so am chancing one to see what happens.I suppose if this is dud advice the worst that can happen is the pup will lose it's roots.
Are you talking about Colocasia gigantea :?: As I have heard that standard gigantea and 'Thai Giant' strain do not like standing in water even in summer. They cannot be dried out over winter like other types, but I'm not standing mine in water.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

well mine died all the way back to the corm in about 2 days..3 large leaves just dissapeared. I havent really messed with it but I'll see if I can get it to resprout. If not then its on the list for a few in the spring.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I am currently keeping mine on the drier side
AKA - Martin