My colocasia Mammoth

The Codfather

Re: My colocasia Mammoth

Post by The Codfather »

I robbed mine off me dad.....but they all look the same to me.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

isn't the epsom salts only for leafs that have yellowing to them, as it restores there green colour?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:isn't the epsom salts only for leafs that have yellowing to them, as it restores there green colour?
It adds magnesium, a shortage of which leads to yellowing of leaves.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

so should this be used as an when needed? or with every dose of feed.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Correct Dave....add small bits regular to inrease the trace elemnts o prevent the yellowing in the first palce.....my Dad been doing it on his traditiional garden for years.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

But too much feed can cause yellowing as well coddy or does to much feed reduce magnesium levels?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

As the plants are so hungry and fast growing......they are ripping all the nutrients out of the ground to help them gorw.......all you\we are doing is feeding those nutrients back into the ground for them....or they soil become dead of nutrients eventually....resulting in poor growth\yellowing of the leaves etc...

Thats why people dont like confiers.....they rip them out massively.
AKA - Martin

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

HA.. Tell me about it, i have 30ft ones at the bottom of my garden, i can not stress enough to people save them for where there meant to be, in WOODLAND AREA'S not gardens! ok coddy thanks for clearing that up pal. icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

AKA - Martin

nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,have to say not overly impressed with my two mammoths either. I know our 'summer' if you can call it that has been totally naff,so I guess I can't be too critical. My two were pups that just stalled growth wise after recieving them. Put them inside on a heat mat to get them going again and after producing two new leaves each they were moved off the heat. From there to a warm inside window ledge and now in the unheated greenhouse. Biggest leaf is about 8-9 inches long. One has another new leaf coming and the other plant may have stalled again with no new leaves since leaving the house. Got bigger leaves on standard esculenta outside and much bigger on ruffles. Nige
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine is growing lovely outside nige not huge leafs but IMO biggish, the change of temps all the time is probably whats stalling yours. it doesn't know what season its in :lol: It is going from hot to warm to cool.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Yeah San tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: Hoping we may actually get some reasonable weather soon,not long til autumn now. Thought the weather was supposed to be warmer near the south coast,pah not this year! Was much better here in April,been crappe ever since bar the occasional day. :(
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

totally agree mate, it has been rubbish here too, one or two days of sun a week then the rest dull and cool and rain. i have a weekend of rain and strong winds, max temp 16c! and its the end of july...
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

My parent plant mammoths aren't doing too great either. July has been crappe here - the 5th in a row as a washout and the coldest since 1988. Trying to beat last year for crappe summer when August didn't get above 18C so was the coolest since yes you guessed it 1988. I think the biggest factor is lack of sun. Nothing is desperately inclined to produce leaves this year, except seemingly my Xantosoma saggitifolium. Even Musa basjoo has only managed one leaf so fa this year.

I'll put some pics on tomorrow of the mammoths and the Xanthos etc so you can take a look. They were definitely larger this time last year I think. I'll hav to look at the pictures taken then to confirm it
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Scott,Is it ok to ask you a few questions re mammoths etc,will pm you if thats ok? Nige