NEW - Alocsaia robudora SuperMax - LariAnn Garner's Mega Alo

Dave Brown
Site Admin

NEW - Alocsaia robudora SuperMax - LariAnn Garner's Mega Alo

Post by Dave Brown »

We have real difficulty growing some of the larger leaved Alocasia such as Borneo Giant, where it needs near tropical conditions to do well. We have LareiAnn Garner's Alocasia x calidora which combined cool hardiness with larger leaves. A. x calidora has grown well for me, reaching 7ft (2.2m) tall with 3ft (1m) leaves.

Many people have asked about Alocasia robusta which has one of the largest unsplit leaves in the world, at up to 18ft (6m). Unfortunately this Alocasia is a real pig to grow outside of a tropical jungle :roll:

LariAnn has managed to grow A robusta at Aroidia Research in Florida, and crossed it with Alocasia odora, the cool tolerant one. icon_thumright The result is Alocasia 'robudora SuperMax', a huge leaved cool tolerant Alocasia which grows as well as A x calidora in cool climates icon_thumright icon_thumright

I have sought LariAnn's permission to reproduce anything that Aroidia Research publishes, and this has been granted provided the source is clearly acknowledged.

Here it is..
the big one we have been waiting for ..... LariAnn's (Aroidia Research) Alocasia 'robudora SuperMax' icon_thumright
2011 Alocasia robudora Supermax.jpg
The above plant is my selection from the seedlings that resulted from crossing A. odora with A. robusta. This one is called "Robudora SuperMax" because it has produced the largest leaves of all the seedlings I have grown out from the cross. Having gotten this plant into tissue culture production successfully, I am now releasing it to the gardening public.
I'm not sure if anyone has this here yet as getting plants in from the US is not easy.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: NEW - Alocsaia robudora SuperMax - LariAnn Garner's Mega

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If we all club together can't we get some from the US. Looks a biggie. I guess probably simpler to get Amulree and others to do the hard work for us?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I reckon big nurseries will soon stock this IMO given some time when they hear about it if they haven't already heard about it. Especially with it doing well in cooler climates. :)
It is a real stunner. Hopefully i will have this one in a few years time. :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San, almost all nurseries are driven by demand, not by looking at what is new. If you wait for a nursery you could be waiting for 2 or 3 years. :roll:

Kris, at this time I am not sure what supply there is available.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:San, almost all nurseries are driven by demand, not by looking at what is new. If you wait for a nursery you could be waiting for 2 or 3 years. :roll:

I'm sure there are a few dozen of us on here that would like to give it a go....
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:San, almost all nurseries are driven by demand, not by looking at what is new. If you wait for a nursery you could be waiting for 2 or 3 years. :roll:

I'm sure there are a few dozen of us on here that would like to give it a go....
I've asked LariAnn personally about whether she'd be willing to ship one to me, as yet she's not got back to me though :-( as she told me before she had a really bad experience with a shipment to the UK when the tracking said delivered yet the recipient claimed nonreceipt so she had to refund when she reckons they got the plant and the money back. Hence she said she was really unhappy with that and would never do it again because of it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

[quote="Dave Brown"]San, almost all nurseries are driven by demand, not by looking at what is new. If you wait for a nursery you could be waiting for 2 or 3 years.

I would not mind waiting that long though Dave, it would save you all the hassle with trying to get it imported and ok'd with the quarantine laws and by that time you probably having a dead plant at the end of it due to the time it takes to get it ok'd. If you want something badly enough then you will wait for it that is my moto and a very good one at that. :wink:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:San, almost all nurseries are driven by demand, not by looking at what is new. If you wait for a nursery you could be waiting for 2 or 3 years.

I would not mind waiting that long though Dave, it would save you all the hassle with trying to get it imported and ok'd with the quarantine laws and by that time you probably having a dead plant at the end of it due to the time it takes to get it ok'd. If you want something badly enough then you will wait for it that is my moto and a very good one at that. :wink:
Good moto but how do you think the nurseries get them from America? They still need to get across the sea in the same way as they would If you ordered one from America.

Watch this space.....
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah but nurseries would have a lot better connections with getting them over than what we will as they would be buying them in big bulks all the time and for years and years not just buying the one or 2's if that makes sense. The seller in the states would go that extra mile to make sure they get there in a quicker with it being a bulk order.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Watch this space.....
The wheels are starting to turn. Lots of work to do yet :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Watch this space.....
The wheels are starting to turn. Lots of work to do yet :wink:
icon_salut
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I would be happy to cough up a few quid !!! :D
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Oh I am so :mrgreen: with envy if you guys can obtain this plant!!

For me its one of my holy grail plants but alas I asked Lari-Ann about availability in Australia and they have not been released over here, and due to our strict quarantine requirements I have zero chance of ever getting one, let alone a robusta...

Good luck Dave let us know how you get along, will be great to see how this plant performs in the cooler British climate!

Sean
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Looks like daves garden are selling these. I know its an overseas site but just thought i would post the link anyway for anyone who may be interested. :)

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/14653/
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San, If you look closely you will see the seller is one 'LariAnn Garner' of Aroidia Research.

She has had a very bad experience shipping plants to UK, so is no longer interested in doing that to individuals. Also being an international importer to the US, to gather her research material, she will not be interested in slipping one in an unmarked box to flout EU import controls.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright