Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia talk

Arlon Tishmarsh

Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia talk

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Like some of you other chaps , i bought 2 of Scotts mammoth pups back in April. I was surprised today to find that they've both started pupping ( i think icon_scratch ). I wasn't expecting that so soon as i thought they'd bulk up first and was wondering if anyone else's has started......

Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping"

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine are too arlon been at it for about 2 weeks now, but to be honest haven't grown much in them 2 weeks since noticing them. but i am very impressed either way. If i can keep them ticking over during winter time, then hopefully next year i will have some good sized plants. :) Mine are about the same size as yours arlon. icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

San i got 1 on 1 and 2 on the other so far. I had to leave mine in a tray of water for a few weeks as i haven't been here. Had to chop a few leaves off the plants as i came back to a bit of Red Spider Mite but thats sorted now i think, gave them a good spray of Provado.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are looking super. Be careful with Red Spider Mite. This time of year can be terrible for it.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Kris, i've sprayed the whole greenhouse as a precaution. Someone put me onto concentrated bottles of Provado, makes 27litres for £8. Thought it was only available in "made up" solution which was proving expensive.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have pup on both colocasia not sure if there is anymore haven't checked for a few days now. I may even have some more under the soil but again haven't had a rumage a round to see, i will leave that till i lift them? I haven't got Red Spider Mite on mine but mine are not in a greenhouse and it won't be as warm as yours, so may be that is why?. I did get a little bit of Red Spider Mite on one of my Alocasia's though. hopefully its gone now. :roll:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What is your biggest leaf arlon on your pups off scott, i measured one a few days back and i got 43cm's. :) I gave my garden its final feed of the year yesterday. :(
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Jammy goits! Where's my pupspy pups?

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Have you had a dig about under the soil GB? they may be hiding :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

GoggleboxUK wrote:Jammy goits! Where's my pupspy pups?

Drowned :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

sanatic1234 wrote:What is your biggest leaf arlon on your pups off scott, i measured one a few days back and i got 43cm's. :) I gave my garden its final feed of the year yesterday. :(
Will do a pic 'n' measure tomorrow San. Wouldn't think there'll be much in it, as i said i haven't been here so they ain't been fed for a month.Mine were in the ground as yours but they just seemed to sit there and do nothing. So i put them back in the greenhouse and off they went again.......or at least better
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Mine are pupping too. One is outside and one is in the greenhouse and both are starting to suffer with Red Spider Mite despite regular spraying.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Interesting that Mammoth seems to be hardy for some. If there's any hope for it planted permanantly outdoors, the Red Spider Mite should never become a major problem. The plants needed bulking up so they haven't been planted out this year and it's too late now but I might try one next year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sorry, to say Arlon, your Colocasia does not look the same as my Mammoth. Yours has a very white base more like Jack's Giant. My Mommoth' have pink bases.

Here is the base of a this year pup.
Attachments
2011-08-31 09-24-14 Colocsasia Mammoth base.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave
the difference in colour is very obvious but tbh i know little about aroids, new ground for me. Perhaps Scott will look in and comment, not that i doubt your opinion icon_thumleft .
They were bought as mammoths.