Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia talk

GoggleboxUK

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping"

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Cheers Dave, I'll keep them above 15 then.

;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Call off ya lawyer San, we're not suing........me pink bits are intact as well :lol:

Good news on your pups San icon_thumleft got a regular pup factory going between us...............

except for Goggle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was all a big cover up then :lol: pink bit covered by compost :lol: .... trying to dupe me into thinking y'all had Jack's Giant :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

:lol: :lol:
Nah, San was ready to sue Scott. I was happy to employ standard Tafia Policy...

horses head in the bed
deep sea diving without a snorkel
etc etc .... :lol:

Dave....
Of course they can be dried off anyway regardless of temp.
as you would overwinter maurelli etc ? dry it out completely and store cold / cool or am i misunderstanding
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:

Dave....
Of course they can be dried off anyway regardless of temp.
as you would overwinter maurelli etc ? dry it out completely and store cold / cool or am i misunderstanding
Apparently commercial companies dry them off to stop them getting too big overwinter, and info I read said that if kept above 16C the bud did not go dormant, so were ready to spring into life in a couple of weeks. Stored colder the rhizome went into deep dormancy and took a lot longer to re grow.

My conservatory was 5 to 10C so I kept mine going on the dry side. I then put them on a heat mat in Feb to bring them on. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

:lol: :lol: Glad yours has pink too Arlon, Shall we go into business arlon. The mammoth factory. :lol:

I was thinking of taking them off more a round feburary time dave with them being in the prop they should of grown pretty well by then, only thing that is bothering me about them being in the prop is them getting leggy?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote: only thing that is bothering me about them being in the prop is them getting leggy?
I took mine off the heat mat by mid Feb as they were growing very leggy. Seems grown cool they are more stocky :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Cheers Dave
that little temperature table earlier is a good indicator, i think i'll keep them indoors and go for 15 deg plus and try to keep them growing but not toooo quickly. icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave Brown wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote: only thing that is bothering me about them being in the prop is them getting leggy?
I took mine off the heat mat by mid Feb as they were growing very leggy. Seems grown cool they are more stocky :wink:
I will go for the 10-15c option then rather than 25-35c option. icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Is this the same for all collies.....also, I have some planted.....when and how should I lift them ?............mine will be kept at 0c to 5c.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lift them coddy before the first frost, else you will have no leafs as the are not frost tolerant. As for temps if you stick to the temps Dave has suggested then you can't go wrong. He has the experience on these. :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Is this the same for all collies.....also, I have some planted.....when and how should I lift them ?............mine will be kept at 0c to 5c.
If you are keeping them at 0 to 5C then they will be dormant, and therefore need to be dry. This means there will be no roots or leaves. I would lift them after the first frost has damaged the leaves, as then you have maximum time seeing them looking good. and you could get another month. If you were overwintering green, then you lift with a rootball before the frosts as you will want to keep the leaves.

Drying should be done in warmth, and all leaf bases removed down to the rhizome or these will go mushy and cause rot. Once dry, dust with yellow sulpher and then store like you would onions, or bulbs. :wink: There is no point in keeping them somewhere cold, and could be stored in a cool room cupboard.

Oh, just one thing, you can only store dry if the plant it big enough to have a decent rhizome. Small plants won't have enough reserves to survive. Small plants will need to be kept growing :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

As always great advice from Dave. Follow it and you can't go far wrong.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Ditto and thx Dave. I may need to dry one out and keep the other going but will check if there is enough rhizome. Collies are a first for me. Thx to Scott icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

Dave Brown wrote:Oh, just one thing, you can only store dry if the plant it big enough to have a decent rhizome. Small plants won't have enough reserves to survive. Small plants will need to be kept growing :wink:
Thanks for this info.

How big is big enough and is there a way to check?

I`m sailing pretty close to the wind with the number of plants I will have to keep in the conservatory. I think I may be for it if I have to sneek these in too icon_aaargh
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi Dave,yep I've noticed these are white too as I had two from Scott also. May have luckily got some pink based mammoths by fluke from a tiny pup bought from desert to jungle back in the spring! :D Managed to get two more pups from this original so hopefully have both types. :D Is it me or does it look like,from the pics posted, that the 'pups' could possibly be stolons forming? Do they send out runners or just clump or both? I'm not sure,its my first year with these varieties. One other question, can these be fairly easily over wintered indoors on a south facing window sill? Would rather bulk them up as mine are still fairly small. Nige