nige pook

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping"

Post by nige pook »

Sorry,posted this after only reading page one d'oh :roll: Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nige, I noticed that the pup in Arlon's pic did look a bit stolon (runner like) but it is difficult to tell at the initial stages of growth as a pup has a spike before a true leaf is formed. In my experience both Mammoth and Jack's Giant form pups rather than stolons.

They should be fine on a sunny windowsill but you have to watch out for Red Spider Mite :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Dave,
i hope it is stoloniferous, if it's like the antiquorum runners they are a doddle to seperate as the roots and new plant on the runner form nicely away from the main plant. Either way,it a few nice pups on the way
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Hi all from Majorca

Just read this post and good to see the plants are doing well. As for what they are. Mammoth as far as I am concerened. I have put on a forum before about the plants I have. I definitely have one that are pink and also some that are not as pink in colouration. Then some have two tone chartreuse and green and some simply green leaved which are a tad shinier in appearance. One or two are even decidedly red stemmed at the top adjoining the leaf. But I believe them all to be mammoths as I also have two Jack's Giant, and these two look the same, but not the same as any of the mammoths. I'll get some pics of them side by side next week when I get home icon_thumright
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,as already said I plan to keep these mammoths and quite a few other vars 'ticking over' on the window sill in the lounge.Sorry to be a worrier but I lost 99% of mine last year and really want to 'crack' getting these through this year. I have many others inc jack's giant,p.china ruffles etc and most of them were bought as tiny plants in mainly 3ltr pots. They are all in what looks like m.p. compost. When I re-pot or seperate pups I always use a much more open mix with perlite and bark chips. My question is this- of the plants that are approx 18 inches tall with3-4 leaves each should I downsize into smaller pots from the 3ltr and re-pot into a more freely draining mix. As already said,they will hopefully continue to grow inside,temps between 15-20c,in your opinion re-pot into a better mix and smaller pot and risk some root damage/distubance. Or leave be in the multi purpose and 3ltr pot? Thanks Nige
Arlon Tishmarsh

I'm the worlds worst for overwatering so i've now got mine back in the greenhouse, hopefully they'll start drying out slowly ready for overwintering.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This could well be the hard bit for some members, as some parts of the UK are forecast quite a lot of rain in the autumn if this is the case, then drying out will be twice as hard. :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

nige pook wrote:Hi guys,as already said I plan to keep these mammoths and quite a few other vars 'ticking over' on the window sill in the lounge.Sorry to be a worrier but I lost 99% of mine last year and really want to 'crack' getting these through this year. I have many others inc jack's giant,p.china ruffles etc and most of them were bought as tiny plants in mainly 3ltr pots. They are all in what looks like m.p. compost. When I re-pot or seperate pups I always use a much more open mix with perlite and bark chips. My question is this- of the plants that are approx 18 inches tall with3-4 leaves each should I downsize into smaller pots from the 3ltr and re-pot into a more freely draining mix. As already said,they will hopefully continue to grow inside,temps between 15-20c,in your opinion re-pot into a better mix and smaller pot and risk some root damage/distubance. Or leave be in the multi purpose and 3ltr pot? Thanks Nige
It's up to you if you leave in the current set up if you are to keep them growing over winter, but the larger the pot, the more difficult to control how wet they are, as even when growing they won't use as much water overwinter. Mine get to about 3 feet in 3 litre before being repotted even in summer. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scott Radford wrote:Hi all from Majorca

Just read this post and good to see the plants are doing well. As for what they are. Mammoth as far as I am concerened. I have put on a forum before about the plants I have. I definitely have one that are pink and also some that are not as pink in colouration. Then some have two tone chartreuse and green and some simply green leaved which are a tad shinier in appearance. One or two are even decidedly red stemmed at the top adjoining the leaf. But I believe them all to be mammoths as I also have two Jack's Giant, and these two look the same, but not the same as any of the mammoths. I'll get some pics of them side by side next week when I get home icon_thumright
Have a good holiday icon_thumright thought you had gone quiet :lol:
Obviously you have more plants to start with to get the variation. Mine don't vary as they are all descended from the original 2007 Wilko's one. The 2008 one didn't perform as well (big or vigour) even though grown side by side, so that one was left out, and didn't seem to come back.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:I'm the worlds worst for overwatering so i've now got mine back in the greenhouse, hopefully they'll start drying out slowly ready for overwintering.
Bit early for drying out yet :ahhh!: they have a good 6 to 8 weeks more growing yet here.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

To be fair though Dave our autumn is going to be a heck of a lot different this year compared to last years. We have an Atlantic storm that is going to hit the UK most places getting it tomorrow! this week bring a LOT of rain with it and very strong winds, so drying out may take that bit longer, with there being practically no sun to help dry out the soil. I am even thinking about lifting some plants and getting them potted.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave Brown wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:I'm the worlds worst for overwatering so i've now got mine back in the greenhouse, hopefully they'll start drying out slowly ready for overwintering.
Bit early for drying out yet :ahhh!: they have a good 6 to 8 weeks more growing yet here.
They've had a good rainwater drenching of late Dave . They'll still get water / feed in the greenhouse but slowly start winding it down. They're in a good free draining mix, so have to be watered anyway. icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Scott Radford wrote:Hi all from Majorca
Scott come back mate, no need to flee the country. San and i were only joking about sending in the The Tafia. We'd have been happy with Jack's Giant.....honest . :lol:

Anyway, The Tafia are global, well represented in Spain . :twisted:
Attachments
tafia.jpg
tafia.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah we didn't mean it scott, lets just forget about it :lol: :lol: we will save the tafia for another time. :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave Brown wrote:Nige, I noticed that the pup in Arlon's pic did look a bit stolon (runner like) but it is difficult to tell at the initial stages of growth as a pup has a spike before a true leaf is formed. In my experience both Mammoth and Jack's Giant form pups rather than stolons.
A quick update, the tip of the pup is opening up a little so defo not a stolon / runner.
icon_thumleft