Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia talk

nige pook

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping"

Post by nige pook »

Sorry to hear that Scott,hope you make a speedy recovery and it wasn't too serious? Looking forward to your lineup too,as and when your ready. Most of mine are tiddlers compared to yours I guess. Hoping I can tick them over in the house and then get them going again next year. Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think I'm going to get pics of leaf top, leaf underside, stem top and stem bottom of all my Colocasia then add them to a topic in the Reference area. It is very difficult to identify everything but will give an indication of those I have :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Scott Radford wrote:sorry I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of my line up of mammoth and giant Colocasias.

I did intend to get some yesterday but I spent the afternoon in casualty after injuring my ribs at work. Hence not up to being able to do much, though I may try to get some pictures if I can get anyone to lift the plants out of the pond for me, as I'm unable to do so myself where the heaviest are concerned :(
ribs? work? are you sure :lol: :lol: i reckon you fell in that pond monday night :lol: :lol: :lol:

only kiddin lol, those asda eddoes you got for me dont half look like them dark stem ones.doesnt show on the first leaf much but creeps in after icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Scott Radford wrote:sorry I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of my line up of mammoth and giant Colocasias.

I did intend to get some yesterday but I spent the afternoon in casualty after injuring my ribs at work. Hence not up to being able to do much, though I may try to get some pictures if I can get anyone to lift the plants out of the pond for me, as I'm unable to do so myself where the heaviest are concerned :(
Take your time Scott, no rush to get pics up. Concentrate on the ribs icon_thumleft

Thanks for the description of Dark stem, i think it's safe to say thats what i have as there's no purple veining etc beyond the leaf joint. I'll be happy to getting one to the size of Dave's "burgundy". Look forward to the pics Dave icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Scott Radford wrote:
Nonetheless of the normal varieties (don't include anything giant or mammoth in that) it is the biggest grower for me and think it has the potential to do similar to Dave's monster burgundy, a descendent of which is growing and a pup of that is on my wish list.
Considering my dark stem was just a small corm bought from EBay in April it’s done really well in the poly.
The biggest leaf is 28” it stands 6’3” (pot included) and the base of the stem is 15”
I guess it could easily get as big as Dave’s famed Burgundy stem next year!
It’s that big though I don’t think I will have a place to over winter it.:(

Tony
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Dave Brown wrote:I think I'm going to get pics of leaf top, leaf underside, stem top and stem bottom of all my Colocasia then add them to a topic in the Reference area. It is very difficult to identify everything but will give an indication of those I have :wink:
That's a great idea Dave. Yes let's all do this with all our Colocasia then we'll see if we can get a good reference page together for anyone wanting to identify one icon_thumleft

Beware though I have as mentioned before misdescribed one so missold to me hence I have no idea of the parentage

The weirdist one is without a nice looking green to dark roseyish stem especially where the new leaf emarges. I got one growing and had the second leaf coming out, so I moved it into the pond. The second leaf came out nice and bigger than the first, but then it seemed to stop growing. Then after a few weeks it produced an odd growth from the stem of its last leaf, instead of a leaf emerging all furled up, a seemingly whole new growing stem (as first emerges from the rhizome) is coming out of it and the new (I assume much larger) leaf is furled up inside that. Pictures will come in due course thie weekend I hope
Arlon Tishmarsh

Considering my dark stem was just a small corm bought from EBay in April it’s done really well in the poly.
The biggest leaf is 28” it stands 6’3” (pot included) and the base of the stem is 15”
I guess it could easily get as big as Dave’s famed Burgundy stem next year!
It’s that big though I don’t think I will have a place to over winter it.
Cracker Tony, very nice icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Thanks Arlon :) I know some members have perhaps felt disappointed when they have found out that the Colocasia they have isn’t what they thought they had, and its turned out to be dark stem.
It is like you have said though, its a cracker of a plant and if it wasn’t in my collection I would be looking for one, for sure.
icon_thumleft
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Palmer,have to agree with you there. :) I bought a 'ruffles' in may about 12inches tall and it looks the same as the pics above! Stands 5 feet tall with biggest leaves of 24 inches. Did have four leaves until the winds arrived and shook about a tonne of pine cones out of the tree that covers my garden :( Had to cut two of them off. :roll: After recent nightime lows of 7c I now have it in my lounge as it has 3 pups developing from the ends of it's huge stolons. Had planned to take it into work to overwinter inside but it now looks a bit crappe! Figured I would separate the pups when ready then review the move. Really impressed with the growth rate,as you also state, and considering our naff summer think it's a great one for our summer climate. Got one pup independant already and hope to have three more soon,really think this is the best performer by far. Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is a fine plant Tony, icon_thumright and appears to have darker stems than many.

Scott, I took so pics of some Collies today, will see if I can get a post together tomorrow. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Palmer wrote:Thanks Arlon :) I know some members have perhaps felt disappointed when they have found out that the Colocasia they have isn’t what they thought they had, and its turned out to be dark stem.
It is like you have said though, its a cracker of a plant and if it wasn’t in my collection I would be looking for one, for sure.
icon_thumleft
Tony
Whats your feed / water regime for your collie, certainly be very interested icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Arlon, it’s had three lots of chicken pellets since April and two lots of blood fish and bone, I water it every day when it’s hot and every other if it isn’t.
Once a week it gets half strength miracle grow and some seaweed extract every so often.

Dave, it appears to get darker in colour as it gets older! It has dark streaks in the stem and some dark patches in the leaf like some form of dark variegation.
Do you see that in burgundy stem?

Tony
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Dave Brown wrote:That is a fine plant Tony, icon_thumright and appears to have darker stems than many.

Scott, I took so pics of some Collies today, will see if I can get a post together tomorrow. :roll:

I took quite a few pics of my Colocasia earlier. I'm just looking for the lead to connect my phone to the pc as don't want to have to bluetooth them all. Then once we get these onto a post then we should have a good start to identifying Colocasia species Dave icon_thumright
Scott Radford

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia ta

Post by Scott Radford »

bluetoothing pictures to pc as we speak. Lead nowhere to be found. Probably packed away as we're moving next Saturday
Arlon Tishmarsh

Palmer wrote:Hi Arlon, it’s had three lots of chicken pellets since April and two lots of blood fish and bone, I water it every day when it’s hot and every other if it isn’t.
Once a week it gets half strength miracle grow and some seaweed extract every so often
Tony
Thanks icon_thumleft
I've started keeping my own quick reference notebook on what works for other people regards feed , water etc who have the same plants as myself. That way i can just nip into it and get the info without having to trawl thru zillions of intrawebnet pages .

icon_thumright