Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping" and colocasia talk

nige pook

Re: Scott's Colocasia Mammoth pup "pupping"

Post by nige pook »

Yep,think you're right there. Have to say though that some of mine seem to send out stolons which then go skyward and produce leaves. Nice opportunity to chuck a pot underneath and encourage it to root! Oh no,more pups to overwinter!!!!!!!!!!!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: Can't resist it though,love freebie propagating. :lol: Nige
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

nige pook wrote:Yep,think you're right there. Have to say though that some of mine seem to send out stolons which then go skyward and produce leaves. Nice opportunity to chuck a pot underneath and encourage it to root! Oh no,more pups to overwinter!!!!!!!!!!!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: Can't resist it though,love freebie propagating. :lol: Nige
Nige
the colocasia antiquorum i have is a manic runner, had about 7 pups in the short time i've had it. What i do is put wood chip under and all over the runner where the pup is forming. The pups send roots down thru it very easily and it's easy peasy to just lift the pups as the wood chip falls away........no root damage. Simples to just pot 'em up then. icon_thumleft

Next year , if i get the same average of pups per plant, it'll be 50 plus........arghhhhhhh :lol: :lol:
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Arlon thats a great idea! Unfortunately my place is rented and the garden is just coarse gravel so hence my use of pots instead of scattering bark chips. We all have our own ways and ideas(yes we are all individuals,sorry M.P life of brian). Darn good one that tho,have to remember that one for when I ever get back on the mortgage ladder again. Havn't come accross antiquorum, any pros and cons compared to esculenta types? Nige
Arlon Tishmarsh

It's a lovely plant Nige. Nice dark stems with an almost emerald green leaf. Grows very well and pups profusely.

Just done a trade with Sanatic , one of my antiquorum for an alocasia x calidora.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Nige, a couple of antiquorum pics this morning.............

A pup about 7 weeks old.........

and that pup is already pupping ...........

Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Arlon sorry to say that plant pictured doesn't look like antiquorum to me.

The leaves on yours are a plain green, and the stems are dark. I think you have the Dark Stem one similar to burgundy stem there.

Antiquorum or Colocasia esculenta var antiquorum illustris as it is properly known these days is quite the reverse of this colouration. The leaves take on a dark greyish hue and the stems are green. You can do a google image search for antiquorum or illustris and you'll see many pictures of this plant that don't resemble yours sorry to say :(
Arlon Tishmarsh

No worries Scott. I was given it by another member as antiquorum and was more than happy to receive it, very grateful. Sanatic and i did google it last week and we noted the difference but thought it may be a variation.

Thanks for the input Scott, will research it a bit more. icon_thumleft
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,sorry have to agree. I do have illustris already. The ones in your pics look identical to one I bought this year as 'ruffles' and I think it may be a sport of burgundy/dark stem. I bought mine approx a foot high in may,now its approx chest height with leaves about one and a half feet long. And yes,have to agree with you Arlon,very impressed with it. Have one direct pup thrown up in pot from main plant and three on the go from living attached stolons with a pot at the end of each. Two already have leaves but not rooted enough yet to seperate. Nige
Arlon Tishmarsh

Cheers Nige
after reading up on burgundy stem / dark stem, i'm certainly not disappointed , it's a big plant so look forward to next season. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It looks the same as my Dark Stem Hybrid, which has vigorous stolons.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Certainly a very vigorous runner Dave.

It was your "burgundy stem" topic i was reading in the "Exotics" section last night. Is there a difference between that and "Dark Stem" or are they much the same plant ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Certainly a very vigorous runner Dave.

It was your "burgundy stem" topic i was reading in the "Exotics" section last night. Is there a difference between that and "Dark Stem" or are they much the same plant ?
No, they are quite different, but it depends on what was sold as Burgundy Stem in the first place. Mine is decsended from one of the originals, but somewhere along the line Dark Stem Hybrid seems to have been labelled as Burgundy Stem, so people genuinely think there is no difference.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave,
what are the main differences plz. Struggling to find much info on Dark Stem. Would ideally like to be able to identify what i have icon_thumleft
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Dave,
what are the main differences plz. Struggling to find much info on Dark Stem. Would ideally like to be able to identify what i have icon_thumleft
Burgundy is all the way burgundy through the stem all the way into the leaf where it joins and through the leaf veins. Dark stem finishes dark somewhere before the leaf and enters it green, and so are the veins. Also burgundy stem has a burgundy sheen to the leaf. I must admit some of my closest dark hybrids have a sort of hue to them, but they all lack the vein colour of burgundy stem.

Nonetheless of the normal varieties (don't include anything giant or mammoth in that) it is the biggest grower for me and think it has the potential to do similar to Dave's monster burgundy, a descendent of which is growing and a pup of that is on my wish list.
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

sorry I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of my line up of mammoth and giant Colocasias.

I did intend to get some yesterday but I spent the afternoon in casualty after injuring my ribs at work. Hence not up to being able to do much, though I may try to get some pictures if I can get anyone to lift the plants out of the pond for me, as I'm unable to do so myself where the heaviest are concerned :(