Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

sanatic1234

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by sanatic1234 »

So it sounds like a divide of experiences this summer with the mayan mask. Some good some not great. Hopefully next year will be a great year for them. GB spring was exceptionally hot and dry wasnt it.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Absolutely San, I recorded 40c where my newly brought out MMs were, with no hardening off to speak of its no wonder they got fried as the sun was being bounced back at them from 3 sides as well as from below.

As you say, experience counts for a lot and I won't make that mistake again.

;)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Still no growth from my still dormant tuber. I assume it's still alive if it's firm, but I can't see any growing point on it.

The other seems to be doing well if still a little small and no sign of any dormancy on this as it remains in the greenhouse.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Best not to do it now greville but high humidity and warmth is meant to kick start them so I learnt this year on a post. I think dave brown did it. In days he had a result. Hopefully dave will look in a give you spot on info on it.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Does anyone know at what temps these shut down and go dormant? The main reason I haven't greenhoused my 2 is that I'm only keeping it at a 5c minimum amd I thought maybe that was too low for Alocasia to keep growing?

I used Dave's suggestion last year of putting them into dry and warm doemancy in the house and they woke up quickly with a watering. The trouble last year was that we had that april cold snap and so they ended up becoming a little too leggy and wouldn't self-support the large leaves outdoors when the eventually did go outside.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

goggs, they have no trouble dealing with 5C and lower, I forgot to move one of mine when it went down to 2C, and it didn't bat an eyelid, but it was bouncing back to 10C during the day. Problems occur if temps stay below 10C as if the compost is moist the roots rot.

Here is one of mine that I've moved from the Lunar Module to the conservatory. It has two seed heads which I'm waiting to see if have any berries. Brian Williams have never got them to produce seed, but as we had such a rubbish summer when these flowered the flowers were open for over a month, so there was much more chance of pollination. Brian has the same summer Heat as Miketropic, so flowers may only be receptive for a day or so.
Attachments
2012-11-10-13-13-34 Alo Mayan Mask.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

very true our summers are HOT last summer had almost 2 weeks of temps over 100F..on the colocasia the flowers sometimes are only receptive for HOURS..My Mayan Mask never even tried to flower and really was a slow grower maybe it will speed up a bit this year.