Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Dave Brown »

Here is the whole Mayan tribe enjoying the sun. Unlike my A odora, they do not burn when put in the sun after growing under cover. This is quite useful :wink:
Attachments
2012-03-28-11-07-50 Alo Mayan Mask tribe.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

don't know how you do it with aroids, you have a magic touch icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:don't know how you do it with aroids, you have a magic touch icon_thumleft
I now have 10 years of experience and many, many failures along the way. At one point I refused to consider buying Alocasia as I was very good at killing them. Then I realised they would not grow here for a whole season using the methods the Americans use.

They need high heat and humidity to start them off if gone dormant, lashings of water when hot, but don't do cold wet compost at all :ahhh!: , so the compost has to be well drained, but watered lots when warm/hot. There, simple :lol:

Always use warm water (not tepid) as this helps keep the soil temps higher and the Alo happier :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by call »

you've got a stunner there dave icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:
Mr List wrote:don't know how you do it with aroids, you have a magic touch icon_thumleft
I now have 10 years of experience and many, many failures along the way. At one point I refused to consider buying Alocasia as I was very good at killing them. Then I realised they would not grow here for a whole season using the methods the Americans use.

They need high heat and humidity to start them off if gone dormant, lashings of water when hot, but don't do cold wet compost at all :ahhh!: , so the compost has to be well drained, but watered lots when warm/hot. There, simple :lol:

Always use warm water (not tepid) as this helps keep the soil temps higher and the Alo happier :wink:
at the moment i can't kill them or get them to grow. i feel like some evil torturer :lol:
i prefer colocasia, they seem a bit more easy going.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

I probably shouldn't be asking here,sorry if this isn't correct. :? If by chance you have any of these surplus to requirements I would love to be considered to buy one please? Love the 'Allies' and doing fairly well with them so far. Touch wood havn't lost any this winter. :D Got mac,portadora,black stem,sarian,gagnea and managed to rear A.mac from seed two years running so far. Hope I qualify and that you may still have some surplus.
Regards Nige.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Took a look at my two AMM shoots today and couldn't resist a peak at the roots. There was rather less than I thought.

As the original compost has been kept on the dry side and with lots of recent sunshine coming through the window on it, some rooting has taken place. However, as it has now turned more cloudy and the room where it resides is unheated, I decided to down-size their pots and give them better drainage. I am transferring them to my hot-box in the greenhouse as some room has now become available. They're bound to move much more quickly in here.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Here's a pic of one of my 2 Alocasia Mayan Mask.

I tried to let them go dormant through dryness over winter but they just seemed to keep going. I decided to give them very small amounts of water, literally an egg cup full every 2 weeks or so and they have come through very well.

They started back into growth in March and have pushed out 2 leaves so far.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If you try to get them to go dormant you are a braver person than me :lol: They take quite a bit of starting once dormant. Colocasia are easy by comparison. Best always to keep Alocasia going if you can. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I gathered that!

:lol:

First year for me with either so I'm learning still. Good experience though and I've got to be positive, at least I didn't lose any. Even my Black Magic is still alive and kicking.

:shock:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I decided to bite the bullet and put mine outside this afternoon.

Because they have been stood up against the window they don't seem to have developed very strong stems and the leaf heads are closer to the floor than the sky.

Will they perk up of their own accord or do I need to support them in some way?

icon_scratch
Dim

Post by Dim »

I have my 2 Mayan mask still on my windowsill in the bathroom (full sun) ...

am chuffed so far, as both have made new leaves, and both have new leaves forming

been nursing these and feeding with compost tea and seeweed/fish foiliar feed

they still have small leaves compared to the pics of Googlebox, but each new leaf grows bigger than the last and is thicker aswell

I will plant these 2 out in full sun in a few weeks time when it's hotter and they are bigger

I like these ....
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Gogglebox those leaves are huge for such a young plant! You have great ones there. My recently sprouted Caladiums are bigger than my Mayan Mask
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yes, I'm pleased with how they've grown and the last leaves have been a really nice size. I'm just worried now that they are going to suffer by being on the floor. Hopefully they'll start to firm up in the stalks and start to lift.