Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

GREVILLE

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by GREVILLE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:47 am

Whoa!! ease up on the hormones, Dave :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 am

GREVILLE wrote:Whoa!! ease up on the hormones, Dave :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not been fed in the last month but it hasn't noticed yet :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

GREVILLE

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by GREVILLE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:34 am

You'd better keep that thing caged up when feeding time returns :lol:

Mine went to my nearby school a couple of weeks ago. It sent out a couple of new leaves from each crown in that time but also picked up some mealy bug. It's been back home for treatment and returned to the school until the christmas holidays, when it will decorate our bathroom for the rest of the winter. Haven't had our little arrival long but it's already made quite an impact :P

CW01

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by CW01 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 am

That's some growth Dave got mine at the end of September and it's now on it's second leaf, on this form should make good growth in 2012 icon_thumleft
Mayan1.jpg
Mayan2.jpg

User avatar
The Codfather
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Location: Darlington, C.O. Durham

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by The Codfather » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 am

I want one......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

User avatar
The Codfather
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Location: Darlington, C.O. Durham

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by The Codfather » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 am

is this the same plant..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALOCASIA-MAYAN- ... 0545328767
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 am

The Codfather wrote:is this the same plant..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALOCASIA-MAYAN- ... 0545328767
Yes it is, but they don't say they ship to UK. You'd need to ask :wink:

Bear in mind these are plug plants, probably much smaller than the ones from Amulree, and it is very close to winter, so the chances of losing a plant in transit is higher
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

sanatic1234

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by sanatic1234 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:14 am

Make sure its legal first coddy to come through the customs, else you may not have a plant at all mate. :wink:

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:Make sure its legal first coddy to come through the customs, else you may not have a plant at all mate. :wink:
First you have to set yourself up through PEACH as an importer, then a US phytosanitary certificate is about $50, then there is a £25 UK customs inspection fee, and the carrier has to arrange the inspection. The last I heard that was £8.50, unless you go to the airport yourself then take the parcel for inspection before you go through customs clearance, but could be a lot a waiting around :roll: ...... adds quite a bit to the initial $4.80 for the plant. This is why most US plant companies won't ship to EU now. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

GoggleboxUK

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by GoggleboxUK » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Yours look fantastic Dave!

Mine have grown well but have gone a bit leggy since I brought them indoors.

They still look good though :)

Image

Image

User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10160
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:15 pm

I must have got the runt of the litter as mine was tiny when I got it and now the biggest leaf is only 4 inches long!

sanatic1234

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by sanatic1234 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Make sure its legal first coddy to come through the customs, else you may not have a plant at all mate. :wink:
First you have to set yourself up through PEACH as an importer, then a US phytosanitary certificate is about $50, then there is a £25 UK customs inspection fee, and the carrier has to arrange the inspection. The last I heard that was £8.50, unless you go to the airport yourself then take the parcel for inspection before you go through customs clearance, but could be a lot a waiting around :roll: ...... adds quite a bit to the initial $4.80 for the plant. This is why most US plant companies won't ship to EU now. :roll:
Yeah it seems quite a lot of a mess a round for something that could possibly end up dead. :roll:

User avatar
The Codfather
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Location: Darlington, C.O. Durham

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by The Codfather » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:52 pm

They will not post abroad.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

sanatic1234

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by sanatic1234 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Be fast on the mark next year coddy, make it the first plant you buy :-) and you may be able to pick one up from amulree before they sell out.

User avatar
Leigh
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: Alocasia Mayan Mask - Could be one of my favourites :)

Post by Leigh » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:04 am

GoggleboxUK wrote:Yours look fantastic Dave!

Mine have grown well but have gone a bit leggy since I brought them indoors.

They still look good though :)
Gogg i would keep rotating them mate, and i wouldn't leave that collie in water unless you have just watered and waiting for it to soak up

Looking good though icon_thumleft, im now starting to wish i'd bought one of these:cry:
Leigh

Post Reply