"HOW TO GROW colocasias/Xanthosoma bought from a marketVIDEO

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

"HOW TO GROW colocasias/Xanthosoma bought from a marketVIDEO

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hopefully you will find this video useful if you have not grown colocasias etc from dry rhizomes bought from market stalls and West Indian or Asian supermarkets.

My wife got involved in this and hence the outtakes!

Las Palmas Norte

Re: "HOW TO GROW colocasias/Xanthosoma bought from a marketV

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Very good Kris! During the out takes segment, just what was in the Mr. Happy mug? :lol:

My process was somewhat more simplified, not that yours was complicated. I washed the tubers in warm water briefly, potted them into gallon pots with a moderately moist starter mix, (non-compacted). Bottom heat using a heat mat and temperature sensor showing 26.1°C / 79°F. They're placed on a bright window ledge and will likely cover the pots with a clear poly film to keep in warmth and humidity. Fingers crossed at this point.

Cheers, Barrie.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nice Video Kris and some good results. quite shocked at the blowing in the bag treatment and just putting in the airing cupboard for 3 weeks. SIMPLE! I wonder if it would sprout quicker in a heated prop with there being a constant temp of say 20c+?
Very surprised about soaking the rhizomes in a pan of water, i take my hat off to you for that.
Did you not end up with no mold what so ever from doing that? with the HP added to the water?

Now time to be nosey :lol: What was making you laugh on the out takes :?: Was your wife pulling faces at you when filming? :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cheers guys.

Yes the simplest method it just stick it in a bag and put it in the airing cupboard until it sprouts. If it doesn't chuck it away.

Aaron, None of the colocasia went mouldy but one of the Xanthasoma did. I did about 5 of each.

Simples

As for the funnies...... well it was the puffing into a bag that got us both laughing! :D :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Pretty good techniques kris well done and 4 out of 5 Xanthasoma is good going. icon_thumleft

I did wonder what was making you laugh. :lol:

Where did you purchase the Xanthasoma from was that the market to?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:Pretty good techniques kris well done and 4 out of 5 Xanthasoma is good going. icon_thumleft

I did wonder what was making you laugh. :lol:

Where did you purchase the Xanthasoma from was that the market to?

Yes all from the market. The mouldy Xanthasoma was a bit soft before I started.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

can't remember know but was that the one that had the grow point cut off or was that the colocasia?
I wish the markets in my town would sell stuff like this, it is always the same old stuff.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

So, Kris, the secret of your success is out - gin vapours drunken_smilie1 It's all there on the video :!:

We know what was in the mug, filmed during Happy hour and with your obvious experience at being breathalysed, how else would the the shoot on the collie grow lop-sided :mrgreen: You should do another one with Yorkshire bitter - that'll give you 'stout' growth :lol:

Seriously, though, the warm water and peroxide idea is brilliant. It seems to get the roots going very quickly.

The first time I tried out an eddoe many years ago from my local ethnic shop, I simply planted the tuber in a pot of lightly moist MPC and kept it covered in a warmish room. It took a lot longer to get going but I wish I kept the plant. It produced some subtle vein markings and blotches on the leaves that I've never seen on any I've grown since. I tried to multiply the tuber in the vegetable garden for eating purposes but of course I never saw it again :(

Thanks for another excellent video, Kris icon_cheers
Last edited by GREVILLE on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

No that one sprouted from the base with just a little mould that a splash of hydrogen peroxide will sort out.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:So, Kris, the secret of your success is out - gin vapours drunken_smilie1 It's all there on the video :!:

We know what was in the mug, filmed during Happy hour and with your obvious experience at being breathalysed, how else would the the shoot on the collie grow lop-sided :mrgreen: You should do another one with Yorkshire bitter in the mug - that'll give you 'stout' growth :lol:
:lol: :lol: 8) 8) :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:No that one sprouted from the base with just a little mould that a splash of hydrogen peroxide will sort out.
Sorry for all the questions kris. :lol: How did you make the solution 3% half a cap full of solution poured into the water?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The solution is 6% so mixed with 75% water brings this down to 1.5%
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:The solution is 6% so mixed with 50% water brings this down to 1.5%
I'm struggling to believe that ... or maybe I'm just not reading the nuance in the same way that you wrote it!!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

How about this lager with 4% alcohol. Put half a pint in a pint glass then top up with lemonade. You now have a drink that is 2% alcohol.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

so if i mix the 6% solution with 1/4 of water that will give me the 3% needed is that right?